Wide Husky clutch cover

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can someone tell me what is the widest Orange clutch cover for a 372/390?
537033501 is listed for 372XPW
537331001 is listed for 390 with the wrap handle.
Are either of those the same width as the gray one that comes with the 572 wrap kit?

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interested in this too.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe one is a wide orange/stickered clutch cover and the other is a wide silver cover, hence the multiple p/n's. I put a 572 wide cover on my XPW and it looks and works awesome. Here's some measurements I took awhile back:
Here's a little bit of interesting info about the 372 stock clutch covers and the silver 572 "wide" covers, in case anyone has ever wondered if there is a significant difference. This is cross-posted from a thread on AS, fyi.

I finally remembered to measure the gap between the inside edge of the cover and the saw's body on my OE XPW (w/gray wide cover) and my dad's plain OE (orange narrow cover). From the case half to the inside edge of the cover was 3/4" w/the plain cover, and it was 1 1/8" w/the wide cover. From the edge of the tank to the inside edge of the cover was 1 5/8" w/the plain cover, and it was 2 1/16" w/the wide cover. Both saws' tanks and case halves should be the same, the only difference is the covers.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe one is a wide orange/stickered clutch cover and the other is a wide silver cover, hence the multiple p/n's. I put a 572 wide cover on my XPW and it looks and works awesome. Here's some measurements I took awhile back:
Ok thanks guys, I’ll order the 1001 cover then. I have a 572 here I fixed with the wrap kit on it and it’s considerably better for noodling than the standard orange 372 cover I have on mine

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok thanks guys, I’ll order the 1001 cover then. I have a 572 here I fixed with the wrap kit on it and it’s considerably better for noodling than the standard orange 372 cover I have on mine

Unless something has changed. You can buy the whole wrap kit for way less than the cover by itself. Unfortunately I believe that all the kits are silver. If you want orange then yeah.... You have to shell out the $$

Steven

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless something has changed. You can buy the whole wrap kit for way less than the cover by itself. Unfortunately I believe that all the kits are silver. If you want orange then yeah.... You have to shell out the $$

Steven
I have done just this for this very reason. Both the Duke and HLS have 572 kits containing a full wrap, large dogs and a wide silver cover for less than $50usd. My 372 clogs on its full wrap when noodling with its narrow orange cover. It won't mind the silver.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Factory cover on the 390XPW is 1 1/8" wide from clutch drum to inner edge. I believe this is a 1001 cover, cant find the part number. 

Attachments

• 20220226_132849.jpg
    20220226_132849.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 18

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
tl;dr-- Do larger Husq covers have "choke points" where the larger size suddenly closes-off, kinda around "9pm to 10pm on the clutch", probably for prevention of chips going up&over the clutch, IE forcing them to evacuate via the rear-side chute (will get a pic)

~~~~~~~~~
Was glad to find this thread, had made similar for the ms660 after seeing these "XL covers" only to see that, while they have nice long vertical "chutes" along their rear-wall, they also have a "choke point" higher up in the casing, around the ~9pm -->11pm point on the clutch, as-if it's intentional to "pinch off"/prevent chips from going up&over the clutch....we're kinda pondering it in the thread (we=me + 1 other :p ) https://opeforum.com/threads/clutch...-properly-deflect-chips-ms660-xl-s-etc.26571/

Would love hearing if the husky covers here are "choking" the extra space around the midway (vertical-height) to prevent chips "going up&over" the clutch, or if they're just big room throughout...had looked at the OEM 660 "XL" covers and disliked how little horizontal clearance there was to the powerhead (no better than OEM...just a better chip-chute, and a tighter 'choke' around the 10pm point on the clutch) so decided to just fiberglass my own and am uncertain whether to include a "choke" (already made me general shape it's almost 100% wider "from powerhead" than OEM or even XL's and has a huge vertical back-wall for downward direction)

Last edited:

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Picture of the XL clutch cover I speak of https://www.wolfcreeksawshop.com/wp...MS461-MS460-MS660-New-West-173219083325-2.JPG

Was told the large bottom-flare isn't about chips but hand-protection (for full-wrap setups), I am building my cover for a full-wrap but am only concerned w/ chip dispersal, so I cut-out a 1/4th of the clutch-cover and fiberglassed it so it was both "wider" from the powerhead as well as having a good length of vertical "end chute" on the rear of the cover to ensure "final exit" is downwards which seems the only aim we can hope for (w/o affixing something to the powerhead, lol)

Thanks, had initially thought Stihl just didn't add space properly to the inside of XL covers but now suspect it's intentional...thoughts on this cover's "choke" would be greatly appreciated :)

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
https://opeforum.com/threads/clutch...-properly-deflect-chips-ms660-xl-s-etc.26571/
^thread I'd made before finding this one, I updated w/ pictures comparing WCS V Stihl-XL (462&500i covers, post 12) and thread's been updated w/ various other models's pictures (posts 8&9) it seems wider bottom, tight choke to prevent chips coming-over clutch, and long/vertical rear wall (typically rubber flap 'chute') to prevent excessive rearward spray... Didn't even consider hand protection til people mentioned it there, cannot say I'd want to add a single ounce to my 660 & don't need extra protection there especially at the cost of extra weight (thinking of the WCS units in-particular but even Stihl XL has a long flared bottom that extends the length of the cover when only the rear-most is necessary)

Longer dogs help while noodling also. Or holding the powerhead back away from the log. Gives them more time to fall before they get to the clutch area
Found both of these breaking-in my 660 builds, lack of good & wide logs lead to burying the 32" & noodling 1' tall logs (fully buried bar though), in practice it eats through them so quickly this way (Live Oak at least) that it's no real use for 'in wood' testing/break-in's but is a good "initial cut" nice & soft & easy on the saw when breaking-in a brand new top end.

Dogs seem to need to be in pairs, at least for a smaller guy like me, singular dog on my 660 felt so wrong and the ebay XL pair on my 590 lets me push it so much harder (can usually push that 20" fully buried through anything at the speed I like, about on-par w/ 32" on the 660)

("holding back" is both keeping away from chip buildup and just part of normal "see-sawing" through a piece, right? It's kinda how I've fallen into doing it, but I mostly go from videos am rarely around sawyers I can learn much from unfortunately)

The wider cover even it doesn’t seem much wider is quite a bit better noodling I’ve found also
Which cover are you referencing? On the XL Stihl OEM's (or the WCS's Stihl XL), you need to get that XL cover to use the big rubber deflector...supposedly (I have to wonder how hard it'd be mounting that inside a regular sized cover, I mean if the boot fits in-between the body & the clutch it almost has to fit inside the stock casing by default...)

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://opeforum.com/threads/clutch...-properly-deflect-chips-ms660-xl-s-etc.26571/
^thread I'd made before finding this one, I updated w/ pictures comparing WCS V Stihl-XL (462&500i covers, post 12) and thread's been updated w/ various other models's pictures (posts 8&9) it seems wider bottom, tight choke to prevent chips coming-over clutch, and long/vertical rear wall (typically rubber flap 'chute') to prevent excessive rearward spray... Didn't even consider hand protection til people mentioned it there, cannot say I'd want to add a single ounce to my 660 & don't need extra protection there especially at the cost of extra weight (thinking of the WCS units in-particular but even Stihl XL has a long flared bottom that extends the length of the cover when only the rear-most is necessary)

Found both of these breaking-in my 660 builds, lack of good & wide logs lead to burying the 32" & noodling 1' tall logs (fully buried bar though), in practice it eats through them so quickly this way (Live Oak at least) that it's no real use for 'in wood' testing/break-in's but is a good "initial cut" nice & soft & easy on the saw when breaking-in a brand new top end.

Dogs seem to need to be in pairs, at least for a smaller guy like me, singular dog on my 660 felt so wrong and the ebay XL pair on my 590 lets me push it so much harder (can usually push that 20" fully buried through anything at the speed I like, about on-par w/ 32" on the 660)

("holding back" is both keeping away from chip buildup and just part of normal "see-sawing" through a piece, right? It's kinda how I've fallen into doing it, but I mostly go from videos am rarely around sawyers I can learn much from unfortunately)

Which cover are you referencing? On the XL Stihl OEM's (or the WCS's Stihl XL), you need to get that XL cover to use the big rubber deflector...supposedly (I have to wonder how hard it'd be mounting that inside a regular sized cover, I mean if the boot fits in-between the body & the clutch it almost has to fit inside the stock casing by default...)
Not sure why you are referring to Stihl covers in this thread. I’m talking about the large Husky covers

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure why you are referring to Stihl covers in this thread. I’m talking about the large Husky covers
Learning & understanding XL-type covers, your stuff here is helpful even to another context -- sorry if you feel it mussed-up your thread just ask & I'll delete it + this.