AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for recommendations on wheeled loaders for arborist business. Need something with a diesel, narrow track width and economical initial price.

I'm currently looking at the Everun models. Anybody have any experience with wheel loaders for arborist and landscaping work?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Dan,

Short answer mini loaders are perfect for tree work. That looks like a decent machine. From the looks of the operator cab it will have great visibility to the work load out front. I’ve used an avant 420 and didn’t really care for the lack of visibility to the load. I sat in a similar sized multi one and same problem.

One thing I did like was the telescoping boom. Something you might want to consider. These machines are small enough that telescopic boom comes in handy for up and over larger truck/trailer dump bodies. Have you checked out the Giant machines yet?

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, Brad. I haven't checked the Giant loaders yet, but I'm gonna have a look and see if I can get one here.

Nice points you brought up. Visibility is a big factor. I recently put a bucket on my tractor and it's near impossible to tell when the bucket is level. Gonna have to add an indicator.

The telescoping boom would be a big plus. I sell most of my wood in bulk unsplit. It sure would be efficient to scoop and dump right into the truck.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, Brad. I haven't checked the Giant loaders yet, but I'm gonna have a look and see if I can get one here.

Nice points you brought up. Visibility is a big factor. I recently put a bucket on my tractor and it's near impossible to tell when the bucket is level. Gonna have to add an indicator.

The telescoping boom would be a big plus. I sell most of my wood in bulk unsplit. It sure would be efficient to scoop and dump right into the truck.
I believe the giant units are coming out of the Netherlands if that helps. Could be those Everun machines come with a telescopic boom. I know it adds cost to the machine but I felt it was worth it after using one.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the guy i work with has a kubota r420s, with a ryans grapple, its pretty sweet. can feel a little tippy, but thats mostly cuz the grapple is a touch big for the machine, you get used to where u can drive it. best pic i could find of it.IMG_0276.jpeg

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i guess maybe youre thinking of a smaller machine than that, but one of these used isnt actually too harsh $wise

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the guy i work with has a kubota r420s, with a ryans grapple, its pretty sweet. can feel a little tippy, but thats mostly cuz the grapple is a touch big for the machine, you get used to where u can drive it. best pic i could find of it.View attachment 389063
Hi Cus! Definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for. That Kubota looks like it has great visibility and I'm sure they are reliable. Parts, service and accessories availability would probably be mint as well.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a giant 254 t. (Telescope boom). Has a bmg grapple. And it is an awesome machine. Picks up close to 2000 pounds and fits through a 36” gate. Was a game changer for sure.

The Giant looks like a great machine from what I can tell. Fitting through gates is big factor for me. I work in a lot of areas that are apartment buildings with limited access. How's the side to side stability? How's the overall stability--loaded versus unloaded on slopes and over obstacles?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Giant looks like a great machine from what I can tell. Fitting through gates is big factor for me. I work in a lot of areas that are apartment buildings with limited access. How's the side to side stability? How's the overall stability--loaded versus unloaded on slopes and over obstacles?
It’s pretty stable, though we’ve managed to tip it over 3 times in last 6? Years? Can’t remember how long I’ve had it. It’s great on reasonably flat ground and I’ve learned it’s limitations and can operate it on slopes but if you’re out in the woods more than in yards I’d suggest something with tracks. But for typical backyards it’s perfect. Put it in a big driveway or the street on a crane job and you’re king. It’s a fast machine so dragging large amounts of brush long distances is easy. Loading logs into a dump trailer you want to be on pretty flat ground, it gets tippy on a slope with all the weight up high. I combined this machine with a couple mini excavators with grapples and have the best of both worlds now.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a massy brand at work and it was a good lil machine. They replaced it with a Volvo l25 and it’s a hunk of junk.

TreeHunter

OPE Member
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have run Worky-quad's, multi-1's, Avant and the Giant loaders and the Giant is far and above the best. The avant is nice and comfy but visibility is an issue and the whole thing is shrouded in thin hard plastic that just simply has no pushback and it doesnt last. The units seem big for their lift power and maneuvarability. The Avant has otherwise good build quality but it sits around our ship sadly because its too big, we use it in our log yard and that seems to be okay. The multi-one now made by Vermeer are an embarrassment of a machine, truly lol.

The Tobraco-Giant with the telescoping boom and branch manager grapple along with forks (to pick up the biggest of loads) and life is good and your operators and mechanic will (mostly) be happy. The controls are superior also and straight forward, no dual purpose buttons to influence dropped loads or accidents and your ride behind the pivot. This allows for excellent driver awareness, visibility and maneuverability. I don't work with that machine anymore and I miss it greatly. Its not the cheapest option but I always tell people if you cant afford a giant you cant afford the repairs and downtime of the other brands.

Kw trees

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I ran avant bobcat l28 and the giant and put my vote for the giant if you run a big crew but outside of work I own the Vermeer ctx 160 and had good results with it and rather have tracks over tires

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1304.jpeg
    IMG_1304.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2608.jpeg
    IMG_2608.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 4