High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What's the best stump grinding shield to use?

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen shields made of PVC frame and canvas material stretched around it. A variation of that, is a mesh tarp doubled over and then zip tied to 4 plastic stakes. Many are using plywood.

What's the best material?

What's the best assembly or construction method (keeping in mind sturdiness and portability)?

Then there are the expensive ones from tree gear stores.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I been using a few 3/4 plywood boards. They are durable and portable, but sound like gunshots sometimes when the grinder throws a rock

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had a 5-ft dia. oak taken down, they used a sweet new remote controlled stump grinder; said the guys never want to go back to the walk-behinds now, LOL

riverrat2

Semper Fidelis
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
R/C is the ticket, it lets you see what you are doing and avoid the thrown debris, but if old-school is what you have, a light gauge metal tube frame with a dux-back tarp lashed to it to protect the lower extremities works well

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
R/C is the ticket, it lets you see what you are doing and avoid the thrown debris, but if old-school is what you have, a light gauge metal tube frame with a dux-back tarp lashed to it to protect the lower extremities works well
I can picture that canvas is a lot quieter

riverrat2

Semper Fidelis
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
used one like that for years, just double the canvas and slip a heavy piece of cardboard in between the layers you will be surprised how long it will last,,,,
Only thing bad about going R/C is you get spoiled and if it breaks it sux!!!!!!

riverrat2

Semper Fidelis
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
made the last one before I sold the machine 3 years ago 0ut of split 5" fire hose jacket material strips bolted/screwed together, then bolted to the grinder wheel belt shroud top cover,,, I saw the dude a year or so ago and it's still on there!!! just use big flat washers where your fasteners penetrate and it holds on a long time

Necessity is the mother of invention!!!!

Last edited: