High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What thickness 2x4 steel tubing for log trailer?

BlackGreyhound

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 8' x 16', 10K deckover trailer with rub rails and stake pockets. I would like to haul logs (firewood/mill) on it occasionally. I'm thinking of purchasing some 2x4 x 4ft steel to put in the stake pockets to help contain the logs, especially while loading. I will chain the logs, too once I get them loaded. For now, I only feel comfortable with one row, as in the picture below. I know nothing about steel stock, and I see it comes in many different wall thicknesses and prices. Any advice about what would be decent strength without breaking the bank?
20230122_164741 (2).jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How tall a stack of logs are you wanting to haul? Some strait grain oak would work well if you are just looking to go a foot or two. I don't think the stake in pockets are designed to contain that kind of weight real far from the pocket like a log car on a train.

BlackGreyhound

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How tall a stack of logs are you wanting to haul? Some strait grain oak would work well if you are just looking to go a foot or two. I don't think the stake in pockets are designed to contain that kind of weight real far from the pocket like a log car on a train.
Yes, that's perfect. I have literally unlimited amounts of oak. Totally agree about the stake pockets not being designed for heavy duty. I was thinking of just being able to get a second row of logs or so.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any height over a couple of feet I'd ad in some more bracing to the stake pockets. The oak pieces sound like a good way to start.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible that if you make the upright bolsters too heavy duty that they will make the stake pockets the sacrificial component if the logs move inadvertently?
Yep, there is no where on that trailer to attach anything strong that will project upwards,
thus a lot of leverage force will be put on those pockets i see along the trailer side.
Where the steel cross members under the bed attach to the sides of the trailer would
be a good place to add new pockets of at least 6 inches vertical height to balance whatever
uprights are put into them.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you'd have to work at it to overload the trailer.
Sticking a piece of steel 3 or 4 foot tall into one of those little pockets on that trailer
will take very little sideways pressure from a load of logs to bend it out.
I built trailers for 20 years, of all shapes sizes and strengths.
Spent a great deal of that time repairing what others decided was a good strong job.

BlackGreyhound

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sticking a piece of steel 3 or 4 foot tall into one of those little pockets on that trailer
Spent a great deal of that time repairing what others decided was a good strong job.
Thank you. Appreciate your experience. From a basic mechanical knowledge says the lever arm gets very strong, very fast. I'm gonna stick with some shorter, wooden stakes to help steady logs until I can get chains on, and conservative loading weights.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. Appreciate your experience. From a basic mechanical knowledge says the lever arm gets very strong, very fast. I'm gonna stick with some shorter, wooden stakes to help steady logs until I can get chains on, and conservative loading weights.
Good wooden stakes would be my choice too, and some chains or straps to hold
it all together.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Machine and welding shop 20 years…same. A couple feet and stack ‘em into a sort of pyramid from there.

9EA36568-B159-4174-A2BA-D4EA423F0980.jpeg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hopefully you have a scale around you can cruise over. Or weigh some rounds and do some maths.

I go off how the tires and suspension look. That load above was flat ground straight road 20 minute drive. If I was hauling a distance with curves and stops and gos I’d scale it and probably carry less.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hopefully you have a scale around you can cruise over. Or weigh some rounds and do some maths.

I go off how the tires and suspension look. That load above was flat ground straight road 20 minute drive. If I was hauling a distance with curves and stops and gos I’d scale it and probably carry less.

I'm surprised that trailer wasn't build with duals. That's a good size trailer.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm surprised that trailer wasn't build with duals. That's a good size trailer.
It’s my friend’s. It’s for bulky lighter weight stuff I guess. Bums me out, not heavy enough to tow my deuce. Need two axles with duals for that. I can build the trailer and have junk around to do it, but the axles are $.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s my friend’s. It’s for bulky lighter weight stuff I guess. Bums me out, not heavy enough to tow my deuce. Need two axles with duals for that. I can build the trailer and have junk around to do it, but the axles are $.

Just put a tow bar on the duece! Lol!

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hard to judge scale from a pic but what is that 3-4 cords at 4k per cord plus the weight of the trailer?