What happened to Bob Johnson

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everybody. Lost my password for a while. I got a pro mac 650 free and needs some parts. I have called Bob Johnson's Mowers up in Maryland NY and cannot get an answer. Does any one know if he is ok? Great guy and a wealth of Mac knowledge.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He's been in the hospital with heart issues. Ed (@edju1958 ) has more information.

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He's been in the hospital with heart issues. Ed (@edju1958 ) has more information.
Man that is sad to hear. I have spoken with him many times over the years and he has always been the most honest and helpful guy. I pray for him.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any update on this?

Only a couple hours from me and I've been up there a couple times. Now that I've got plenty of time, was planning on going up for a visit in the next couple weeks. Bob is a good dude and that place is like time travel.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe because of failing health issues with heart, business was sold from other forums info and haven’t herd as of late how he’s doing , was the Mcculloch go to guy for sure .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the years I've bought a few things from Bob and in fact my big giant book of Mac IPL's has his business card taped to the inside cover .I got it off of E-bay which a few tried to say I couldn't have because he never sold on it .I'm not going to argue about it I know where it came from .

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I would have just driven over there. In fact, I'll still do a drive by cause I was going to combine it with another stop on the same road back in Oneonta. I'll fill you guys in on whatever I learn.

The other stop is another former Husky dealer, Brian's Small Engine. Right on route 7 like Bob's shop. Like me, Brian owns multi use building, and still has a Wed morning coffee group in one of the spaces. We might do something similar once all of the parts and tools are out of ours. ;)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the deal on those books which I think might have been 4 or 5 .They are so rare you almost never see them for sale .I bought the first one which cost me dearly .Mc Bob in Australia wanted one and bought a later sale item less expensively .McBob copied the lists and made a CD ROM .Who actually sold them I have no idea but obviously was an E-Bay seller .

Attachments

• DSCN1295[1].JPG
    DSCN1295[1].JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 34

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW when McCulloch circled the drain from what I've heard huge stocks of parts were sold off at auction and got scattered to the 4 winds .People hoarded them and slowly sold them off .They are still out there but by and large the price is only going up .There are a few after market parts which although I have not bought any they say are fairly good quality . As for myself in the world of collectors mine is small and parts are where I find them which often are robbed from donors .As I've said many a time restoration of any thing is not for the impatient because it might span many years to find all the parts .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I talked with Bob last Sat.because his B-day was on the 12th,he turned 83.Bob officially closed his shop back in Nov.when he had his shop phone disconnected.I also keep in touch by email with Bob's lady-friend Joan.Bob has only been out to his shop a couple of times in 6 months,he just doesn't have the interest anymore.I know it was very hard on him to have to give it all up after 50 yrs.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool that you thought to call him on his birthday! And thanks for sharing it with us. Thought of stopping by next time I'm in his neighborhood to say a quick hello if it would be received ok.

Know a little bit how he feels. I'm farther back on the curve than he is. But in my case it was important for me to close while it was still my call to make. I wanted to walk out, not get wheeled out.