Welding Muffler Mod

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Husky 51 that I did a half ass muffler modification on.It is very functional however the bolts holding the cover on does not make it look as well as I would like.I have a flux core welder and would like to weld this into place. Will the flux core work or will I end up burning a whole through the muffler? I have a Longevity 100 machine using .030 wire.Thanks, Ken

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have any junk mufflers you can can practice on? Turn it to its lowest setting and give her a few tacks. You'll see right away if you burn through. I'm learning myself and just try various settings and speeds and see what works. I figure the only way I'm getting better is if I'm practicing. I can grind to make it pretty

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
30 is the smallest flux core wire ive seen i have 2 wire feeds a licoln 140 i have .23 mig wire and gas and a eastwood 175 i run .35 flux core the 30 may be enough go slow and clean after each spot weld

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
30 is the smallest flux core wire ive seen i have 2 wire feeds a licoln 140 i have .23 mig wire and gas and a eastwood 175 i run .35 flux core the 30 may be enough go slow and clean after each spot weld

I welded a 288xp deflector on my 372s muffler. Same set up you have, .030 Flux core. As stated earlier just take your time and do a series of spot welds to prevent burn through.

Welder56

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I used .035 solid wire today to do my 056 muffler. You definitely cannot hold a continuous bead and should jog the trigger (spot weld along). Ive found the solid wire works really well for the mufflers though and have had great success. Since Flux core is a globular transfer I would think it would be more challenging because of the higher volts. Short circuit transfer cools faster

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use .030 flux core on my little 110v mig. Like what everyone has said. Turn the juice way down and do spot welds. Maybe practice a bit on an old junk muffler if you have one. I don't generally worry about the look of the finished weld. Just clean it up with a die grinder or something similar and give it a couple good coats of high temp paint.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used .035 solid wire today to do my 056 muffler. You definitely cannot hold a continuous bead and should jog the trigger (spot weld along). Ive found the solid wire works really well for the mufflers though and have had great success. Since Flux core is a globular transfer I would think it would be more challenging because of the higher volts. Short circuit transfer cools faster
Yup, solid wire works much better than flux core. I use .023 on a 110, very easy to use. But you can still go through, easy enough to fill the holes right back up with that small wire though

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have used flux core at home also, do spot weld it along. I think I have mine with some wire in the .020" something range I got at home depot or lowe's.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spot welds and skip around with your spots. I would do something like 12 o'clock then 6 then 9 then 3 wash rinse and repeat. If you burn through let it sit until you can touch it with your bare hand and start again.