WeedEater Woes!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never fooled too much with trimmers/weed eaters.
Yet, my steady lawnguy has come up MIA, so I dug this ole boy outta the corner of the garage.
Put a new plug in, filled it up with 40-1 mix, and can't get it fired up to save my life.
Been about 6-7 yrs since it was used!
Primer bulb is a goner & its leaking a little, depending on which way I prop it up.
Think new fuel lines, new primer bulb, & a carb rebuild will do the trick or should I just scrap it and buy a new one?:greedy::greedy:
My mitts are barely decent on a chainsaw...:confundio1::nusenuse:

Thanks,
Reg
20180625_015907.jpg 20180625_015649.jpg 20180625_015730.jpg

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^^ What he said. Plus it will give you some hands on experience. Because if you try this it won't be a major loss. And when looking for parts see what a complete carb is running, it might only be a few bucks more than a kit.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Some of those have to have a good primer bulb to get prime to run. The older weed eaters are pretty good. I would throw a primer carb kit and lines on it and let the big dog eat!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^^ What he said. Plus it will give you some hands on experience. Because if you try this it won't be a major loss. And when looking for parts see what a complete carb is running, it might only be a few bucks more than a kit.
Hey Dub!
Is that #24 indicative of 24 cc's?
Asking for a friend! LOL

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys!
BTW...where can I source out parts?
I'm seeing some stuff on Amazon/Fleabay.

Just talked to my local 2-Stroke Guru...of course he's pushing the $199 special on a new Echo SRM-225 with 5 yr warranty/service.
He did offer to take my WeedEater off my hands fer $10 cash or $20 on trade-in!o_O:eek:
Said by the time he counts an hour or so shop labor & ferrets out the parts...it would be $100 job easy...and that's working through lunch or Happy Hour!:thinking: :drink::Saeufer:

What's the verdict on the Echo vs Ryobi trimmers?

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys!

Just talked to my local 2-Stroke Guru...of course he's pushing the $199 special on a new Echo SRM-225 with 5 yr warranty/service.
He did offer to take my WeedEater off my hands fer $10 cash or $20 on trade-in!o_O:eek:
Said by the time he counts an hour or so shop labor & ferrets out the parts...it would be $100 job easy...and that's working through lunch or Happy Hour!:thinking: :drink::Saeufer:

Holy sheet that's high. I'd get the parts and go get your feet wet. That what I started on was working on these. Home depot has a fuel line kit that comes with this little slick wire snake hose puller thing that help. And I'd bet its 24cc.

And I usually charge 40 plus parts for a fuel system over haul and it would take more than 30mins.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I don’t care much for Ryobi , echo is the choice of all the pro lawn care here in central Kentucky.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree to stay away from Ryobi. Low end stuff. The $100 figure is probably pretty close. In my shop i fix very few non pro string trimmers. Some can easily take a couple hours if the carb is gunked up and needs to go in the ultrasonic. plus parts. For a home owner i say go for it. If you left fuel in it the carb will be gunked up.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of those, it is a very good machine that doesn't give up much to my Echo SRM-225. Yes, buy new parts and fix it, you would have to move up to a semi-pro machine to find one as good as that today. Get the numbers off the carb, I bet you can get a brand new one on Fleabay for under $20.00. If you need any help with it feel free to PM me or post back.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the exception of some of the older models which began life as Ryan/IDC, Ryobi is just awful. Even current Weed Eater is better. The Echo SRM-225 goes on sale all the time, so if you decide to get one later you should be able to find a good deal.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of those, it is a very good machine that doesn't give up much to my Echo SRM-225. Yes, buy new parts and fix it, you would have to move up to a semi-pro machine to find one as good as that today. Get the numbers off the carb, I bet you can get a brand new one on Fleabay for under $20.00. If you need any help with it feel free to PM me or post back.

Thanks Ferg!
Is Ebay the best place to source out parts?
Looks like there are plenty of DIY videos on YouTube to help me out.
This may be a handy little project to get the feel of things.
I've replaced fuel filters, plugs, & fuel lines on my Stihl saws.
Is this any different or more complex?
Last thing...how compatible is this trimmer for other attachments like brushcutter blades and so forth?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:applaudit:
Much obliged sir!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Ferg!
Is Ebay the best place to source out parts?
Looks like there are plenty of DIY videos on YouTube to help me out.
This may be a handy little project to get the feel of things.
I've replaced fuel filters, plugs, & fuel lines on my Stihl saws.
Is this any different or more complex?
Last thing...how compatible is this trimmer for other attachments like brushcutter blades and so forth?

Is it a strait shaft?

And probably the biggest thing to remember is from where the H and L jets are now you need to count how many turns it take to fully seat them and remember which one is which. And the order of how the gasket and diaphragm are on the carb.

And most importantly not getting carb cleaner in the eye.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir straight shaft it is.
Hmm...ze H jet is over here...and the L jet is...! LOL:crazylick::eeek:
I'll do my best to keep the carb cleaner outta the old peepers...I'm kinda partial to seeing!:fighting02:
Appreciate the info Dub...probably wind up sending you some pics by pm once I get her broke down...so I don't go into, "Nuclear Meltdown Mode!" :yikes:

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This:
2dc7dba21d0ffa5df5ba08bb39b34994.jpg

5916e982aab9a86ba6db985fad841a45.jpg

Came out from under the deck at the daughter’s old house.

Fuel line, primer bulb and carb clean made it a designated family runner.

Curved shaft. But, lots of them in the junk at Jeff’s Small Engines. [emoji108]

31cc. That’s better than an 017!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This:
2dc7dba21d0ffa5df5ba08bb39b34994.jpg

5916e982aab9a86ba6db985fad841a45.jpg

Came out from under the deck at the daughter’s old house.

Fuel line, primer bulb and carb clean made it a designated family runner.

Curved shaft. But, lots of them in the junk at Jeff’s Small Engines. [emoji108]

31cc. That’s better than an 017!
How tough was it installing new fuel lines & cleaning the carb up?