High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

want to buy HRX217 but what about the cam recall?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to buy another Honda HRX217 with the hydrostatic, HYA i think is what it is now. With the GCV200 motor. (I have a HXA from ~2005).

I would be buying left over stock correct? Honda was, or has stopped production of gas mowers?

In buying the HRX217, gonna pop around locally to see if any power equip dealers has one at a not unreasonable price... how do I know if a specific mower [motor] is likely going to have the problem cam?

Is there a good online place to buy from? Place I bought one ~5 years ago seems to be no longer (mowersdirect I think).

I watched a youtube of the cam replacement on the gcv200, and it doesn't look too bad, has anyone here done that repair that can comment on it?

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing being sold new will have cam issues... honda requires dealers to update remanin inventory before selling them.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a local dealer near me which used to have honda stuff, now has nothing honda other than able to order replacement parts.

i ordered a hrx from homedepot online, does homedepot qualify as a "dealer" and would that not have a cam issue? Or should I not be surprised if depot have N number of units they are hoping to pawn off via online sales? or like acmetools online which has some hrx217hya's you can purchase - would you expect places like these to [knowingly] sell units without the cam issue?

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a local dealer near me which used to have honda stuff, now has nothing honda other than able to order replacement parts.

i ordered a hrx from homedepot online, does homedepot qualify as a "dealer" and would that not have a cam issue? Or should I not be surprised if depot have N number of units they are hoping to pawn off via online sales? or like acmetools online which has some hrx217hya's you can purchase - would you expect places like these to [knowingly] sell units without the cam issue?
If purchased in america, they cannot legally sell a known defective unit, so they would have to have been repaired before being sold... last year honda had a 3 month stop sale on ALL push mowers while they figured out what ones were bad... kinda sucked being a honda dealer with no way to sell anything from june til september....