High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tree leaning on Cabin - guy wire or remove?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Afraid the tree is gonna take the cabin down. Roots are precarious in/on the rocks. Could remove tree but might regret losing the shade. So maybe guy wire to rocks or other trees. If I guy wire, what is the best way to attach? Seems like wrapping around would eventually cut into the bark...? Screw big anchors into the tree and seal up?

Thanks

IMG_5492.jpg IMG_5493.PNG

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
12:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
David u could cut the overhang back and get 12” more of tree growth:risas3: JK
That looks like some beautiful country were u are at! And u can tell that the shade tree would be dearly missed. I would definitely try and pull that baby back. What about a few of the spiral corkscrew thingys that the power companies use for anchoring guy wires on poles? Im not sure if ull get one in the ground all the way with all the rocks though?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think I'd even touch it. The tree looks healthy and it has a relatively small and narrow crown for the amount of trunk diameter it has.

I would investigate closely though to make sure the trunk is sound. Pines will traditionally have a lot of exposed roots at high altitudes, especially
in rocky conditions. I wouldn't worry about that too much. I worked in the central Cascades for eight years and there were Ponderosa and seven-needle Pines
up there that took a real beating from the wind and never had any problems.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think I'd even touch it. The tree looks healthy and it has a relatively small and narrow crown for the amount of trunk diameter it has.

I would investigate closely though to make sure the trunk is sound. Pines will traditionally have a lot of exposed roots at high altitudes, especially
in rocky conditions. I wouldn't worry about that too much. I worked in the central Cascades for eight years and there were Ponderosa and seven-needle Pines

I’ll get more pics. I probably have some from last year.
It’s scary to sleep in there in a wind storm...especially when you see other trees snapped right off every spring...everything creaks and groans like it’s coming down.

See my “forest health” thread

Steve Billak

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
the power company I work for has a anchor point that goes into rock. we call it a expansion type rock anchor. it does require drilling a hole though. for the tops of the poles we drill a hole and use a through bolt with a rams head. there are preformed ends that hold it together.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you do go the the route of guying. You are going to want to use all thread and eye nuts. Attach cable to eye nut.(amon eye) Drill threw the tree. Install all thread rod threw drilled hole. I would make or have made a square plate or something with more surface area then a flat washer to help prevent pull threw. Hopefully attached pic will help. I am thinking you should be at least 2/3 up the trunk of the tree to really see any benefit.IMG_20210423_224626.jpg

Last edited:

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also based on the picture it would appear that the tree is large enough that two cables to one eye would be under rated. Probably have to do 2 threaded rods and amon eyes in 2 different drilled holes.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keeping or cutting depends on your stewardship ideals of the cabin as it sits

One cabin.........many trees.......
If it gets wrecked it probably won’t get rebuilt. Built in ‘32 IIRC. Only one up there.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure is a neat place

Nothing personal against the tree just would hate to lose a cabin over it
Yeah it is and I’d just as soon yank that tree over...but the shade on the roof and deck would be missed.