Tree against the house question.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 36" pine that is up against the house. What happens if I climb the tree removing all the limbs then cut the tree at the roof line?

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 36" pine that is up against the house. What happens if I climb the tree removing all the limbs then cut the tree at the roof line?
I am betting on gravity winning this one. This sounds like it needs pictures. How does this tree get to be 36", before someone decides it is a problem? Lol

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just back cut it and see what happens.

Reactions: Lnk

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It falls hard. If you leave the limbs it doesn't damage the lawn [as much] and is far less work and less dangerous. How many stories tall the house is affects the outcome.

At 36" diameter I'd assume there are obstructions making it implausible to fall from the ground. If you're not a climber it's dangerous. IF you're a climber it's still dangerous.

If it's right against the house you might be able to make a face cut, bore cut it, then back-cut the trigger. The lean of the tree and wind come into play. I had to rig out a tree similar to the method you're describing because of obstructions, it's not fun and took a lot of planning to do successfully

I'm not a climber, I only climb and rig trees out when I have to. This is  not something you want to do with a tree that big unless you absolutely have to. Once you're up there you figure out why it costs what it does to have it removed professionally, and why "tree guys" aren't "rich" despite what they charge. Pros make it look easy, like many things it's more complicated than it appears, any mistake can be very costly. Part of what pros charge covers insurance which is expensive due to the level of risk--don't underestimate the risk level.

Again, I'm not a professional, and am only commenting because I've been in a similar situation. It's, uh, not something to underestimate.

Last edited:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It falls?

How could we possibly give you an answer with such limited info. But, a 36" tree could instantly remodel you house if things go south. You have to ask yourself, is it worth the risk?
"It FALLS"
You Beat me to it. I did that to a 20" at the base and pulled it into a tight spot wasn't my house so the risk was minimal:rolleyes:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It falls hard. If you leave the limbs it doesn't damage the lawn [as much] and is far less work and less dangerous. How many stories tall the house is affects the outcome.

At 36" diameter I'd assume there are obstructions making it implausible to fall from the ground. If you're not a climber it's dangerous. IF you're a climber it's still dangerous.

If it's right against the house you might be able to make a face cut, bore cut it, then back-cut the trigger. The lean of the tree and wind come into play. I had to rig out a tree similar to the method you're describing because of obstructions, it's not fun and took a lot of planning to do successfully

I'm not a climber, I only climb and rig trees out when I have to. This is  not something you want to do with a tree that big unless you absolutely have to. Once you're up there you figure out why it costs what it does to have it removed professionally, and why "tree guys" aren't "rich" despite what they charge. Pros make it look easy, like many things it's more complicated than it appears, any mistake can be very costly. Part of what pros charge covers insurance which is expensive due to the level of risk--don't underestimate the risk level.

Again, I'm not a professional, and am only commenting because I've been in a similar situation. It's, uh, not something to underestimate.
Well Phrased and Emphasized.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the gal that is selling the house was able to renegotiate with the buyer. They are splitting the cost of $8,000. They are using a tree service out of Tucson. I estimated the tree to be 75'. My plan was to lower the branches that overhang the house. Attach a rope way up the trunk hooked to 20k service truck. Make a wide face cut then bore the hinge. Then back chain the horizontal cut until the tree fell. And then run like HELL!!!!

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe workman’s comp for tree services is the highest cost in all industries. Costs ya $2k as soon as you pull up...

Last edited: