Stihl/Oregon comparison

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered a couple of chains for the little saws .Partner 5000 plus and Stihl 024. The Stihl is .325 .063 67 driver chisel ,The 5000 is ,325 .050 66 driver both are chisel chain .
The Oregon 20LPX has anti kick backs and a slightly longer tooth .The Stihl 26 RS has a shorter tooth but a slightly larger gullet and no anti kick backs .plus witness marks on the top plate .If anything I would guess the Stihl would be slightly faster and being harder probably last longer .
I'll change both chains and save the old ones for the " Pick NecK " races as dubbed by my favorite debate opponent Tommy F . .As far filed back as the old chains are it's doubtfull they will get any faster .

Attachments

• DSCN1525[1].JPG
    DSCN1525[1].JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN1527[1].JPG
    DSCN1527[1].JPG
    266 KB · Views: 12

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Stihl is .325 .063 67 driver chisel ,The 5000 is ,325 .050 66 driver
Stihl is putting out their newer .325 saws with .050 drivers, as opposed to .063 drivers like they used to stating that it was an approximate increase in speed by 20% (since the .050 drivers are thinner than the .063 drivers).

As noted by EFSM, the Oregon chain does not have any anti-kickback humps.

As for Stihl being a harder chain, not sure, but Oregon chain is pretty good stuff. I don't know if you will see much of a difference between the chains.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might add I've been buying chains from e-bay for some time .I'm not going to drive around this one horse town for half a day or go to my dealer which is 15 miles away to pay slightly less by maybe a dollar per chain .I can't drive 30 plus miles for a buck . I've got a Stihl dealer not two miles away but they the made the mistake of pizzing me off .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doing the flea bay thing I could not find either Stihl RS in .050 or the Oregon without anti kick backs .However typical flea bay the prices were all over the place like a loop for 40 bucks and 19 to ship it .Those people live on a different planet .However even with anti kick backs you can bore cut with it .

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doing the flea bay thing I could not find either Stihl RS in .050 or the Oregon without anti kick backs .However typical flea bay the prices were all over the place like a loop for 40 bucks and 19 to ship it .Those people live on a different planet .However even with anti kick backs you can bore cut with it .
The best way to buy it,

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see a lot of talk about Stihl and Oregon prices. What are folks paying for a simple 20 inch loop of 33RS-72, 33RS-84, and the Oregon equivalent?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would take me years to go through a roll of .325 chain as I've only got 3 or 4 3 cubers .I do have rolls including 1/2" chipper ,the last of .404 skip chisel that Baileys ever sold in .058 which is what the avatar saw has on a 48" hard nose .NOS on that bar,try to find one of those .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding those 16" loops of .325 Stihl and Oregon it was $28 for Stihl and $26 for the Oregon,shipping free .Not bargin basement but not country club costs .I'll get 3-4 years out of them I'd imagine .They aren't my only two saws .

bretts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might add I've been buying chains from e-bay for some time .I'm not going to drive around this one horse town for half a day or go to my dealer which is 15 miles away to pay slightly less by maybe a dollar per chain .I can't drive 30 plus miles for a buck . I've got a Stihl dealer not two miles away but they the made the mistake of pizzing me off .
Agreed, driving around to save a buck when gas is the price it is, sometimes it's betterer to take the hit.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some on line suppliers are good,some used to be some never were .Baileys for example was very good until they sold out then IMO it went to hell in a hand basket .I fired them
To who!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.Some time ago Gregg Grande was the top sales person at Baileys .He went to I think Left Coast Supply some time after Baileys changed hands .However prior to that the new owner was selling off old stock that was not moving and the deals were red hot. Who that was I have no idea but that same owner curtailed the advertising dollars confined to just one fourm which was A-----.If you insist I'll spend some time on the internet if you are incapable or unwilling to do it yourself .
Now if that change involved another family member or not I could not find by using the internet .However after that change of command Bill Bailey was no longer involved and the company policy and sales were not nearly as good as prior to IMO. BTW I've never talked to Mr Bailey but have on several occasions have talked with Gregg Grande ( Grande Dog )who could find nearly every part for every saw ever made .
Now Bill back at you .Do you have information suggesting Baileys,as a company is still under the same administation as it was in 1975 when the company was founded .I'd really like to know .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now let me tell you another thing .At one time Baileys sold a line of what amounted to after market parts .For example a type of spring loaded starter cords about like Stihl's elasto start .Gregg acted like a PR guy and would send boxes of parts,chain saw loops etc all over the country given away at GTG's to promote sales .I've got some of them as a matter of fact .At that time Brad Snelling handled the rest as he was very active on those events though out the state of Ohio .Fact I was too during that time period when I wore a younger mans clothes.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.Some time ago Gregg Grande was the top sales person at Baileys .He went to I think Left Coast Supply some time after Baileys changed hands .However prior to that the new owner was selling off old stock that was not moving and the deals were red hot. Who that was I have no idea but that same owner curtailed the advertising dollars confined to just one fourm which was A-----.If you insist I'll spend some time on the internet if you are incapable or unwilling to do it yourself .
Now if that change involved another family member or not I could not find by using the internet .However after that change of command Bill Bailey was no longer involved and the company policy and sales were not nearly as good as prior to IMO. BTW I've never talked to Mr Bailey but have on several occasions have talked with Gregg Grande ( Grande Dog )who could find nearly every part for every saw ever made .
Now Bill back at you .Do you have information suggesting Baileys,as a company is still under the same administation as it was in 1975 when the company was founded .I'd really like to know .

Comments such as ....If you insist I'll spend some time on the internet if you are incapable or unwilling to do it yourself .......are not needed.

You made the comment about them "selling out" not I.

Your other comment............"Now Bill back at you .Do you have information suggesting Baileys,as a company is still under the same administation as it was in 1975 when the company was founded .I'd really like to know .................. I never said that so why in the hell would you even ask that?

I find the tone of your comments to be quite odd.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well Mr G I find your comments as they have always been are aggressive . Rather than further throw more gas on the fire I will bow out gracefully .However did you ever figure out who has the helm at Baileys on line because I have not ?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never tried to, nor will I ever try to, "figure out who has the helm at Baileys on line". Why the hell would I? I did not stop buying Dodge vehicles because Lee Iacocca no longer was running the show.

I care about customer service, quality of product, and sales support not the guy or gal at the top.