HELP! Stihl MS881 chain tensioner problem

Wood_Slice

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello, fellow woodchippers. I bought a Stihl MS881 about 2 years ago and barely used it but the tensioner seems like stuck. I cut about 2 to 3 logs 10 foot in length for slabs. Unfortunatelly is about 2 months past warranty and Stihl after over 3 weeks still cannot get the courage to reply back to me. Called their customer service they said they will not have a tech to talk to me for about a week.

Anyways i digress. So i cut the L- shapped metal piece of the tensioner with a dremmel because it was covering the screw holding the kit together. Got it out i could not find any debris inside so not sure why it would not tighten but the spurs on the gear seemed a bit work off. Bought New OEM parts (i think it was 124-007 something) replaced with new parts but the issue persists. I dont sew any damage on the body tensioner housing.

Any suggestions/help/tips would be appreciated and thank you for having me here.

Edit: i have a 41” bar on the saw not sure if the length/weight cause that to be an issue.

Last edited:

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello, fellow woodchippers. I bought a Stihl MS881 about 2 years ago and barely used it but the tensioner seems like stuck. I cut about 2 to 3 logs 10 foot in length for slabs. Unfortunatelly is about 2 months past warranty and Stihl after over 3 weeks still cannot get the courage to reply back to me. Called their customer service they said they will not have a tech to talk to me for about a week.

Anyways i digress. So i cut the L- shapped metal piece of the tensioner with a dremmel because it was covering the screw holding the kit together. Got it out i could not find any debris inside so not sure why it would not tighten but the spurs on the gear seemed a bit work off. Bought New OEM parts (i think it was 124-007 something) replaced with new parts but the issue persists. I dont sew any damage on the body tensioner housing.

Any suggestions/help/tips would be appreciated and thank you for having me here.

Edit: i have a 41” bar on the saw not sure if the length/weight cause that to be an issue.
Detailed pics will help. Maybe a vid as well.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Woodwackr mentioned, pictures/video will definitely help out. I cannot see the bar length/weight being an issue as the 881 should be able to take any size bar out there...but not an 18"...that's just silly. The only thing I can think of if maybe it was over-tightened that may have caused an issue, but with the replacement doing it too, doesn't seem likely. This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

EDIT: Here is a video with an 881 with a 60" bar (41" no issue)....about the 13:50 mark, you will see the guy bounce the nose off the dirt during a cut.

Last edited:

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Woodwackr mentioned, pictures/video will definitely help out. I cannot see the bar length/weight being an issue as the 881 should be able to take any size bar out there...but not an 18"...that's just silly. The only thing I can think of if maybe it was over-tightened that may have caused an issue, but with the replacement doing it too, doesn't seem likely. This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

EDIT: Here is a video with an 881 with a 60" bar (41" no issue)....about the 13:50 mark, you will see the guy bounce the nose off the dirt during a cut.

The famous backwards chain 🤣

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have seen the tension screw get bent and cause the slide to freeze in position and have a spot real tough to get past. Make sure you bar nuts are tight

Wood_Slice

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured it out. Well rather my local Stihl dealer. You can tell that its my first chainsaw and i am not aware of all the little tips/tricks etc. Took my saw to my dealer with the bar and chain and told him that with the bar/chain it doesnt tighten but same without the bar/chain. Then he said something that made me feel like Homer Simpson “duhhhhhhhh”. Apparently all the times i have used before i had the break OFF (lol) on loosing the sprocket doesnt hinder the movement but on tightening it does. I felt sooooooo relieved.

Thank You guys.