mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello guys,
I have already asked in some threads where the Stihl MS192 TC was mentioned, but I have conclude that is better to open a new thread.

Time ago I have bought a used Stihl MS192 TC chainsaw. The TC version has the Easy2Start function in other words the cylinder has a pre-exhaust groove, which makes starting the saw easier.
A friend of mine has the MS192 T version and I compared the effort needed to start each of the saws, but I noticed no difference.
So I'm questioning myself if in reality the cylinder of my chainsaw is the one with the pre-exhaust groove (Stihl part number 1137 020 1204) or just a normal one used for a MS192 T version (Stihl part number 1137 020 1203)? Can anybody help me identify which cylinder is mounted on my chainsaw without dismantling the cylinder itself? I made a photo of the outside of the cylinder with the flywheel removed.
IMG_20210502_174654.jpg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe a dealer can run the s/n and see if it was made before the change?

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What change do you mean?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may be wrong, but I thought the exhaust groove was added to all cylinders made after a certain date. If so, if your saw was made before that date it may not have that groove. Have you tried pulling the spark plug and looking through the plug hole to see if you can see where the notch would be through there?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried pulling the spark plug and looking through the plug hole to see if you can see where the notch would be through there?

This. ^

Pull the muffler and spark plug. Shine a flash light into the cylinder from the exhaust side and look through the plug hole. Turn the fly wheel until only a sliver of light is visible. If the sliver has a lumpy spot, you have the easy-start slot.

Most of the 192s I have seen do have the slot.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may be wrong, but I thought the exhaust groove was added to all cylinders made after a certain date. If so, if your saw was made before that date it may not have that groove.

The pre-exhaust groove was adopted to the cylinders of the TC version chainsaws, but I cannot confirm that all had it even though it would be strange, since is a part of the Easy2Start function.

Have you tried pulling the spark plug and looking through the plug hole to see if you can see where the notch would be through there?
Pull the muffler and spark plug. Shine a flash light into the cylinder from the exhaust side and look through the plug hole. Turn the fly wheel until only a sliver of light is visible. If the sliver has a lumpy spot, you have the easy-start slot.

Thanks for the hint. I have checked and the exhaust is visible from the spark plug hole, but as I suspected the groove is missing.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the 192s I have seen do have the slot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not the function of the groove to relieve the pressure to start easier the chainsaw which is the Easy2Start function of the 192TC and not of the 192T chainsaws?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not the function of the groove to relieve the pressure to start easier the chainsaw which is the Easy2Start function of the 192TC and not of the 192T chainsaws?

That's the marketing idea. I think the Easy-Start system includes the spring loaded pull
handle as well.

I have always suspected that Stihl added it because they had so many saws leak at the clamshell seam. They just engineered a lower compression cylinder. The old ones without the groove aren't very hard to pull over.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the marketing idea. I think the Easy-Start system includes the spring loaded pull
handle as well.

The spring loaded handle is the ElastoStart handle.
The MS192 TC chainsaw has a normal handle, but it has a completely different rewind starter (than 192T) with an additional thick spring which accumulates pulling energy.
Stihl then upgraded Easy2Start function on other models of chainsaws to ErgoStart which differs in thickness of the energy accumulating spring and is similar to the rewind spring.

The old ones without the groove aren't very hard to pull over.

I know that, but I bought the TC version because I wanted an easier to start chainsaw.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotcha. In that size saw there are some respectable battery options now.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, no pulling needed. I use the husky at work, but I must confess the petrol chainsaws still cuts better and faster.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should be great for pruning.
Since the MS192 TC version chainsaw was more common in the States, do you know any source where can I find a cylinder with the groove (Stihl part number 1137 020 1204)?

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ask your dealer, he will get you one, or have a look on the net.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW, you’re going to a lot of effort for a low performance saw. And the difference in starting resistance between cylinders is almost imperceptible.

But I have one here if you really want it. PM me. International shipping cost is an unknown quantity.