Stihl Clutch Covers

Oldbuzzard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the deal with the large and small clutch covers? I bought a new MS400 and a 3/4 wrap bar kit for it. The wrap kit also included a bigger clutch cover and bigger dogs. I assumed you needed the bigger clutch cover to fit the 3/4 wrap bar, or the bigger spikes, or both. But that is not the case. The smaller clutch cover works fine. The bigger clutch cover does not have captured bar nuts and the small cover does, so to me the small is preferable for that reason alone. Can anyone tell me why Stihl is pushing the big cover?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the deal with the large and small clutch covers? I bought a new MS400 and a 3/4 wrap bar kit for it. The wrap kit also included a bigger clutch cover and bigger dogs. I assumed you needed the bigger clutch cover to fit the 3/4 wrap bar, or the bigger spikes, or both. But that is not the case. The smaller clutch cover works fine. The bigger clutch cover does not have captured bar nuts and the small cover does, so to me the small is preferable for that reason alone. Can anyone tell me why Stihl is pushing the big cover?
Full wrap kits include large clutch covers so your fingers will still be protected from the chain when they are at the lower end of the wrap.

Oldbuzzard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full wrap kits include large clutch covers so your fingers will still be protected from the chain when they are at the lower end of the wrap.
Ahh, thanks for the answer. But with gloves and the bigger chain catcher on the spikes I think I will stick with the smaller cover.