Stihl BR600 Part Number Needed

Sawyer3

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Stihl 4282-011-1604 Ser# 271909653 BR600-Z Blower. I had a cam blow up and replaced it after cleaning all the metal fragments out of the engine. I sealed the pan and cam housing set the valve clearance and embarrassingly noticed a part in one of the zip lock bags I used when sorting parts and bolts while disassembling. It was in a bag that contained the cam, followers, and push rods. Going through the parts schematics and my photos there is nothing like this in the cam housing. The part is clearly stamped 4282/00A. Searching this number does not produce the Stihl part #. I went through each of the parts section schematics on the blower and can not see the part anywhere. Does anyone know the Stihl part # or the location of use for this pawl? Any help would sure be appreciated. I do not want to assemble further till I know where this part is used.

Attachments

• Pawl 4282-00A.jpg
    Pawl 4282-00A.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 8

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello @Sawyer3, welcome to the forum. I am not sure, but does that piece go on the cam, behind the metal plate? This is just a guess on my part from a YouTube rebuild linked below.

Stihl BR 600 CAM.jpg
Stihl BR 600 CAM 2.jpg

Sawyer3

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply hacskaroly, I am not sure, it could very well be as it was in the bag with my destroyed cam, pins, and followers. I think I have watched every video on the BR600 that YouTube has and I have not seen it pictured when removing the cam & followers. This is an early model, before the magnums, blowers with serial number before 529813009. Perhaps all the schematics out there on the BR600 are for the newer model and the older models are different. I guess I may have to unseal the cover and see if there is an obvious way to install this behind the cam. I do know I do not have a spring to hold a pawl in position but that may have been ground up with the backing plate. It does seem strange that there is not one schematic out there that would show the parts in that application.

Sawyer3

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply I am not sure, it could very well be as it was in the bag with my destroyed cam, pins, and followers. I think I have watched every video on the BR600 that YouTube has and I have not seen it pictured when removing the cam & followers. This is an early model, before the magnums, blowers with serial number before 529813009. Perhaps all the schematics out there on the BR600 are for the newer model and the older models are different. I guess I may have to unseal the cover and see if there is an obvious way to install this behind the cam. I do know I do not have a spring to hold a pawl in position but that may have been ground up with the backing plate. It does seem strange that there is not one schematic out there that would show the parts in that application.

Sawyer3

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched the video again and it sure seem like the compression release is activated by the cam followers and disabled by rpm. I looked on the table and did not see the part anywhere.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 06-13-24 at 09.52 AM.JPG
    Screen Shot 06-13-24 at 09.52 AM.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 6

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not seen it pictured when removing the cam & followers
It appears that it might be a "sealed" unit, if yours old cam blew up, that is probably where you got that pawl from. If you got a new cam I am sure it had the cam gear, metal back plate, pawl and spring all in one. I don't think Stihl would put the breakdown of that part since it isn't serviceable other than just being replaced.

Below is the cam gear from a FS 91 IPL, it doesn't have a breakdown either of the gear parts.

FS 91 Cam.jpg

Below is an image of smashed CAM, you can see the pawl outlined in red and the spring outlined in yellow.

BR 600 Broken 01.jpg
I looked on the table and did not see the part anywhere.
I don't think that guy in the video took his cam apart, I think he just swapped the old one out. I just happened to notice the nub sticking out on the new one and thought it looked like the tip of the pawl you show.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bless you! You solved the mystery that 5 Stihl dealers could not. Yoy made my day, what a great site this is!
Glad to help out, for what its worth, I used to work at a Stihl dealership! I learned a lot there and learned that there is a lot more for me to learn! This site is awesome for learning!