Stihl BR600 fan removal.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got any ideas on how to get the fan off. I have already sheared off the a 1/2 dr to 3/8 dr impact socket adapter and can't it loose with regular 1/2 dr 17mm socket either. It isn't for the lack torque either as the impact is rated for 950 ft-lb working torque. Rope trick of the cylinder hasn't worked either. Engine needing bearings. Thinking of trying to disassembly the engine so I can get a hold on the crankshaft directly.

Dang it shouldn't be on that tight.

Ktoom

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The threads are reversed. Feed some more rope into the cylinder. Use a long breaker bar too.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry that the very first thing I checked and just triple check it and they are definitely RH threads and not LH. BTW the fan rotates CCW when looking from that side on the engine. I should know the difference between LH and RH threads after working with them for over 30 yrs. Beginning to think someone red Loctite it. It is acting just like oil drain plug that was fused in a drain hose earlier and end twisting it in half. Afterwards I slice the whole in half to find what cause the problem.

Going to drill some holes tomorrow to access the engine mount screws so I take crankcase apart. It will come apart or break in the process; it is its choice...

Ktoom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are correct. I was invisioning the blower from the wrong side. Ive disassembled many br600's and the fan removal can be a major pain. The tricky part is holding the blower while trying to push down on the breaker bar. Good Luck

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found out that I need a 10mm piston stop for this one so I got to get one or make one. It something I have been looking for and a member of my home forum gave the Stihl PN for it. It is a metal version and not one of those plastic ones I keep destroying.

As for holding it I can setup a wooden bird mouth clamp to hold it.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Found out that I need a 10mm piston stop for this one so I got to get one or make one. It something I have been looking for and a member of my home forum gave the Stihl PN for it. It is a metal version and not one of those plastic ones I keep destroying.

As for holding it I can setup a wooden bird mouth clamp to hold it.

Use nylon starter rope in the plug hole , take care it doesn't get into a port when you feed it in . To me this is the best and safest way to hold the piston , the stop area is increased so there is not too much pressure on the piston in one spot .