Stihl 046 bar

TX Rancher

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Stihl 046 that I use some. I had a 20” Stihl rollomatic bar on it. I misjudged a tree and got it pinched pretty bad the other day. I think the bar is messed up a bit. I am figuring I should get another.

Curious what bar y’all would recommend for the 046. Would be on mostly post oak trees up to 24” wide. Occasionally bigger stuff. Also, any tree cutting usually involves clearing yaupon brush away first.

TX Rancher

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something I have noticed about cutting yaupon is that it makes a chain get loose faster than cutting actual trees do. It’s a hard and brittle type brush. Would a longer bar make that better, worse, or have no effect? I guess a longer bar would mean a bit less bending over to reach it.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 20" on all the Stihls. 026, 260, 034, 044, 440, 046, 460, 066, 660. I run 24" on the Husky 395's.
You already have 20" chains for the 046 and you said your were cutting oak up to 24" so there would be no reason to change bar length. A lot of folks think they need a longer bar than they do. No logger here runs any bar other than a 24/25" and that is on saws up to Stihl 880.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
3:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 20" on all the Stihls. 026, 260, 034, 044, 440, 046, 460, 066, 660. I run 24" on the Husky 395's.
You already have 20" chains for eth 046 and you said your were cutting oak up to 24" so there would be no reason to change bar length. A lot of folks think they need a longer bar than they do. No logger here runs any bar other than a 24/25" and that is on saws up to Stihl 880.
Umm, let me diegest that for a bit. 🤔

Either you lack bars & chains ? Or you don’t have any big wood 🤷‍♂️

I agree you can cut wood about twice the diameter of your bar length, but running a 660 with a 20” bar when you have a lighter & smaller saw that will do the job is a waste of a 066/660. I'd whack a bigger bar on the 066/660, if it makes the job easier . [i know we’re talking 460]

But I'd normally look a what wood I’ve got to cut (type & amount ) and figure out the best saw “lightest” but also think about the quickest for the job.

However that said , ask bjarne Butler what he runs 🤔 (look him up on youtube) I think your find it varies but a bigger bar gets unwieldy in smaller wood.

So I think you’re correct with the answer is… why bother with a bigger bar if you already have some chains.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have around 800 saws and at least 250 extra bars. I have plenty. I have one man bars up to 72" and two mans longer but they are unusable. To say I lack bars and chains is totally wrong.

What is "big wood" to you?

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have around 800 saws and at least 250 extra bars. I have plenty. I have one man bars up to 72" and two mans longer but they are unusable. To say I lack bars and chains is totally wrong.

And here we go..,
Seriously, as said the 046 will handle quite a long bar if required. It has a ton of torque as I’m sure you know. My own personal preference is the 25” Stihl Rollamatic, Light if you can get one.

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll thank yourself going to 28" on that saw. Paired with full skip it'll hold similar speed in the cut as the 20" did.

20" bar on an 046 is like 13" wheels on an F150.

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something I have noticed about cutting yaupon is that it makes a chain get loose faster than cutting actual trees do. It’s a hard and brittle type brush. Would a longer bar make that better, worse, or have no effect? I guess a longer bar would mean a bit less bending over to reach it.
Not familiar with yaupon, but generally speaking the tendency to let off the gas cutting small limbs/brush is when chains get stretched and or thrown. You getting a lot of it under the clutch cover?

Stab it and steer.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have owned 2 046 and an MS460. I never ran anything shorter than a 28 in. and in bigger trees a 36 in. with no issues and plenty of power.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i ran my 046 with a 36" square ground .063 skip chain for years. i have a 32 and semi skip that i use on it now when i run it. it has pleanty of power with both of those bar chain combos

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a 32 that takes .050 chain that i would part with as i dont have any .050 chain.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And here we go..,
Seriously, as said the 046 will handle quite a long bar if required. It has a ton of torque as I’m sure you know. My own personal preference is the 25” Stihl Rollamatic, Light if you can get one.
I do not know what you mean by ......"And here we go"

The man said........

I have a Stihl 046 that I use some. I had a 20” Stihl rollomatic bar on it. I misjudged a tree and got it pinched pretty bad the other day. I think the bar is messed up a bit. I am figuring I should get another.

Curious what bar y’all would recommend for the 046. Would be on mostly post oak trees up to 24” wide. Occasionally bigger stuff. Also, any tree cutting usually involves clearing yaupon brush away first.

I replied...........
You already have 20" chains for the 046 and you said your were cutting oak up to 24" so there would be no reason to change bar length. A lot of folks think they need a longer bar than they do. No logger here runs any bar other than a 24/25" and that is on saws up to Stihl 880.

I reiterate he clearly said he is cutting mostly 24" and smaller wood including brush. It can safely be assumed he has chains for the 20" bar. What would be the reason to spend more money on chains and a longer bar?

Then @Wonkydonkey made this post that really made me chuckle.........

I agree you can cut wood about twice the diameter of your bar length, but running a 660 with a 20” bar when you have a lighter & smaller saw that will do the job is a waste of a 066/660. I'd whack a bigger bar on the 066/660, if it makes the job easier . [i know we’re talking 460]

But I'd normally look a what wood I’ve got to cut (type & amount ) and figure out the best saw “lightest” but also think about the quickest for the job.

However that said , ask bjarne Butler what he runs 🤔 (look him up on youtube) I think your find it varies but a bigger bar gets unwieldy in smaller wood.

So I think you’re correct with the answer is… why bother with a bigger bar if you already have some chains.

Once I tried to figure out what he was saying I posted.................

Of course he never did say what "big wood" was to him. :confundio1:

Yes an 046 will run a 28" bar, a 32" bar, hell a 36" bar but what the hell good does that do a man when he is cutting a 24" tree?

My brother had a 84 Ford Ranger with 44" tires on it. Yeah it impressed the ladies but sure as hell never got the job done any better

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a lite tsumura 28 on a 462 down here on the gulf coast and that's my only saw pretty much at the moment. Best combo I've ran yet. I carry it on the tractor, in the back of the ranger, it cuts firewood, keeps trails clear and right now is on hurricane beryl cleanup duty.

Most wood I cut is under 24"
Lately I've been knocking down some big elms for an uncle and some of them have been right at the limits of the 28, so it has been handy for that. The lite 28" tsumura weighs the same as a 20" rollomatic es which is what I ran on it when I got it.

Previously I had a 441 that I ran a 25 and I much prefer the 28. I like the reach that the 28 gives me. I've also got a jacked up back so not bending over all the time is a plus. A lite 24/25 would probably pair well with your 046 but I say go 28.

I'm currently contemplating another 50cc saw (had one and sold it) and it will probably get a 24 just for the reach. At minimum it'll get a 20.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_7016.jpeg

28” standard weight bar with RSK, RS or Oregon equivalent chain on an 046 is a pretty good combination in woods like Hedge Apple (Osage Orange) and other hard, scrubby woods… I just plan in sharpening a lot of chain when I’m done.

Standard weight bars are more durable and stiffer than the current RW bars on the market, and if you’re anything like me, in smaller material (<12”) you’ll get your bar pinched, but probably not bent or smashed like the aluminum pieces in an RW bar.

Last edited: