Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it’s a non runner?

Either the jug or the top cover has been swapped out.
Runs on prime and yes obviously the jug or cover have been swapped. Good clean piston and 170psi

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So did any of the 026 have decomps from the factory???

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cannot believe no one wants a 026 for $215 plus shipping. The 064 left Monday. The 044 leaves tomorrow. The 026 would love to go with it.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a non-runner with proof that someone’s been in it before. Jug and or cover swapped, and therefore unclear what else has.

Show that as much as possible is OEM and get it running well, then re-list.

If it’s a non runner with swapped parts it’s considered a parts saw. They generally bring $50-100 depending on the saw.

That’s at least part of why it hasn’t sold. Easy to spend a lot of money on a non-runner, and then the total price goes way up for a 30 year old saw with who knows else is wrong with it.

So-Tex

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Generally they are really good saws GLWS

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw is still here I see there is another one buried on the shelf to. I am amazed no one wants 026's anymore. I dug out a MS250 last night I guess there might be more interest on that or a pile of 190/191's

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw is still here I see there is another one buried on the shelf to. I am amazed no one wants 026's anymore. I dug out a MS250 last night I guess there might be more interest on that or a pile of 190/191's
It has not sold because your price is too high, like beyond an offer too high. An average condition(which I would say this is) good running 026 is a $250 saw tops, and I may take shït for even saying that. By the time someone gets this saw to that condition with pricey dealer only Stihl parts they would have $300 plus into it, and that's just doing the normal rubber stuff, carb kit, and seals. One also has to consider the condition of 20+ year old rubber AV mounts.

I am not trying to crap on your thread, I'm just trying to add some perspective. I overprice things too occasionally, and appreciate feedback. Try $150. That's what I would do and I've sold a few saws.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has not sold because your price is too high, like beyond an offer too high. An average condition(which I would say this is) good running 026 is a $250 saw tops, and I may take shït for even saying that. By the time someone gets this saw to that condition with pricey dealer only Stihl parts they would have $300 plus into it, and that's just doing the normal rubber stuff, carb kit, and seals. One also has to consider the condition of 20+ year old rubber AV mounts.

I am not trying to crap on your thread, I'm just trying to add some perspective. I overprice things too occasionally, and appreciate feedback. Try $150. That's what I would do and I've sold a few saws.

To quote a call from your play book: "First: this is bad form. Nobody asked you to value this thing."

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 21-02-16 SELLING - Who wants a Stihl 15L.png

Or you could always do what you did with me, when you saw a item I had for sale that you thought, I priced too high, start a PM, and tell him, you think the item is priced on the high side. However by the time you PM'd me, I already had two members asking for my PayPal address to buy said item...

I've never understood why people think they need to voice their opinion on price, in someone else's for sale thread, let the market handle it, or take it to a PM.

quote-my-hypocrisy-only-goes-so-far-doc-holliday-70-59-42.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess the difference here is that the OP is asking why it hasn’t sold and seems astonished by it.

There’s a big difference between a runner and non-runner in terms of potential costs to get a saw to run.

“Runs on prime” can mean bad seals from bad bearings and then it’s a case splitter. Just one scenario of the hundreds that are possible here.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

To quote a call from your play book: "First: this is bad form. Nobody asked you to value this thing."

View attachment 416209

Or you could always do what you did with me, when you saw a item I had for sale that you thought, I priced too high, start a PM, and tell him, you think the item is priced on the high side. However by the time you PM'd me, I already had two members asking for my PayPal address to buy said item...

I've never understood why people think they need to voice their opinion on price, in someone else's for sale thread, let the market handle it, or take it to a PM.

View attachment 416210

I guess the difference here is that the OP is asking why it hasn’t sold and seems astonished by it.
Bingo

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a non-runner with proof that someone’s been in it before. Jug and or cover swapped, and therefore unclear what else has.

Show that as much as possible is OEM and get it running well, then re-list.

If it’s a non runner with swapped parts it’s considered a parts saw. They generally bring $50-100 depending on the saw.

That’s at least part of why it hasn’t sold. Easy to spend a lot of money on a non-runner, and then the total price goes way up for a 30 year old saw with who knows else is wrong with it.
What do you see that is not OEM?
I guess you never put a top end on a saw EH?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you see that is not OEM?
I guess you never put a top end on a saw EH?
You’re the one who’s asking for advice on why it’s not selling, not me.

Then when constructive criticism is offered, you buck it. You’ve been offered opinions in a non-denigrating way (because you asked for them), but you still defend your opinion that people are foolish to not buy your saw at a price YOU deemed to be fair.

I’ve been around a few 026 in my life, that’s pretty well known. 026 I’ve gone through typically sell for 2-3X what you’re asking because I stand behind my product and don’t try to sell stuff that someone will have a problem with. That would just be a problem for me because I’d pay shipping both ways and fix it for nothing if the issue was a reasonable one. BTDT, but not often.

Anyway, good luck with your sale.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re the one who’s asking for advice on why it’s not selling, not me.

Then when constructive criticism is offered, you buck it. You’ve been offered opinions in a non-denigrating way (because you asked for them), but you still defend your opinion that people are foolish to not buy your saw at a price YOU deemed to be fair.

I’ve been around a few 026 in my life, that’s pretty well known. 026 I’ve gone through typically sell for 2-3X what you’re asking because I stand behind my product and don’t try to sell stuff that someone will have a problem with. That would just be a problem for me because I’d pay shipping both ways and fix it for nothing if the issue was a reasonable one. BTDT, but not often.

Anyway, good luck with your sale.
I never used the word foolish. I just wonder what folks think is non OEM.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never used the word foolish. I just wonder what folks think is non OEM.
That’s the question is nobody knows what is or isn’t so it’s very difficult to even judge what it’s worth. Could be anything from an easy fix to an aftermarket top end cheap bearing rebuild. I honestly have a hard time in my area getting 200$ out of one I’ve gone through. New oem seals, rebuilt carb, fuel line and filter plus a good overall cleaning and inspection.
Glws but 215 plus shipping will probably have this saw sitting awhile.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston ring looks to be 1.5 , the factory is 1.2 , not trying to stir the pot here ,it's just what I saw.
I personally don't think an aftermarket piston is a big deal? The cylinder has oem marks on top that AM don't.
Just the fact that someone has definitely been in that saw makes it questionable as to the quality of whoever's mechanical skills can hurt resale.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can weigh in with my recent 026 experience. I found an 026 locally for $60, that had the top end removed for low compression. All that was wrong with it was a stuck piston ring, which was only hung up from sticky deposits in the ring groove (pretty sure someone tried to run varnish as fuel from the way everything smelled). I cleaned the piston and ring, slapped it back together with a carb kit, fuel and impulse lines, and it runs perfect with 170 psi compression. I think I had 2 hours into the whole project and about $40 in parts (had a base gasket in my inventory, so im not counting that).