Stihl 021 carburetor question?

NYH1

Tactical Chainsaw Operator
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Stihl 021 I bought new in 1999. I want to get a tune up kit/parts for it (air & fuel filters, fuel lines, spark plug, carb rebuild kit, ect.). I'm not sure if it has a Walbro or Zama carb. All I see on the carb is Stihl. Is there any way to tell which carb it has without tearing it apart first? I can take it to the dealer when I order the parts, rather not if possible.

Thanks, NYH1.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can post pic's. I think I'm gonna go with the info ammoaddict posted.

NYH1.

Acres internet is pretty accurate but not 100 percent all the time. Sometimes manufacturers change things mid or later production years so you might want to do further research. You might even want to consider one of the $10 china carbs. I have 2 of them on Husqvarnas that run great.

NYH1

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Acres internet is pretty accurate but not 100 percent all the time. Sometimes manufacturers change things mid or later production years so you might want to do further research. You might even want to consider one of the $10 china carbs. I have 2 of them on Husqvarnas that run great.
I've been looking at a lot of different tune up kits. I've never used aftermarket parts on a chainsaw. I wasn't sure if they're any good or not.

NYH1.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been looking at a lot of different tune up kits. I've never used aftermarket parts on a chainsaw. I wasn't sure if they're any good or not.

NYH1.

Some are good and some aren't. If you get them from eBay or Amazon it's pretty easy to get a refund if they are bad. I have bought at least 6 aftermarket carbs and only had one bad one. I'm not positive it was bad. I couldn't get the saw to run with the OEM carb or the aftermarket one. I haven't messed with it anymore. So I don't know. But Amazon refunded it.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am now working on a Stihl 021 that was brought into me by a tree service company. I was told that it did not start and run. No other details were provided. Having worked on several 021's, I would like to add the service experience on this one to this thread. Here are Pics of what I have in the shop now:
Stihl 021 Before1.JPG
Stihl 021 Before2.JPG
I have seen worse conditions that this. Regardless, NYH1, is that OK with you?

NYH1

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am now working on a Stihl 021 that was brought into me by a tree service company. I was told that it did not start and run. No other details were provided. Having worked on several 021's, I would like to add the service experience on this one to this thread. Here are Pics of what I have in the shop now:
View attachment 352418
View attachment 352420
I have seen worse conditions that this. Regardless, NYH1, is that OK with you?
Absolutely! ;)

NYH1.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should be a WT15 IIRC. There is a non H adjustable Zama and an adjustable Walbro iirc. It’s been some time.

A new knockoff carb is damn cheap for that saw. Not worth the rebuild.

If you can find a 250 short block it will wake that saw up. Pretty good little clamshells with the adjustable carbs.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I first make sure that it has a fuel issue problem. If the compression is still good and it has a spark, usually it's a fuel delivery problem, assuming the saw will not start and run correctly. Before working on or replacing the carb, I replace the fuel filter or the fuel line first. If the running problem remains, I go after the carb.

Looks like the carb on this one was already replaced, and it has only the low speed set screw and a grommet with no opening leading to a hi-speed set screw. Most replacement carbs for the 021 have both a hi and low set screws. This saw has been around awhile (like OP's) so I usually check the carb's strainer for a clog up. That's next on the agenda.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rather than check the strainer, which means removing the carb, I went ahead and tried to start and run the engine after an internal and external cleanup and a new fuel filter. To my pleasant surprise she fired right up and accelerated beautifully to WOT. So, here she is, ready to return to the owner:
Stihl 021 After1.JPG Stihl 021 After2.JPG Needles to say, we saved another saw from the landfill. It may not have been just the fuel filter. The ignition module area looked like some mud daubers had built a nest, and in all, I may have thrown away a full cup load of grime and dirt during the cleanup. I also redressed the bar and sharpened the chain. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

NYH1

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sprayed a little starter fluid in it, and it fired right up, runs like a champ. Still gonna change the air & fuel filters and fuel lines.

NYH1.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never used starter fluid, but I did just get some Snap starter fluid from a friend that looks to be only half used up, but the can has to be 10 years old. I assume you sprayed it into the choke opening and let is sit a few minutes before attempting a startup. This Snap can I have is so old I can barely read the instructions. It could have a limited shelf life.

NYH1

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never used starter fluid, but I did just get some Snap starter fluid from a friend that looks to be only half used up, but the can has to be 10 years old. I assume you sprayed it into the choke opening and let is sit a few minutes before attempting a startup. This Snap can I have is so old I can barely read the instructions. It could have a limited shelf life.
Took the air filter off, sprayed it into the carburetor, pulled it once and it started right up.

NYH1.