StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to start a different type of thread that isn't necessarily chainsaw related. What tool companies have impressed you that are not from big names? For me I'd have to pick Walmarts Hart company. Surprisingly I've had more good than bad with them. Mind you I have/had everything ranging from Pittsburgh to gear wrench to snap-on, warrior to DeWalt, Milwaukee,Makita and fein central pneumatic to air cat and Ingersoll rand. Should be pretty obvious by my username that brand loyalty isn't in my nature. As with automotive companies every make has their good and their bad. What's your experience?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dollar store, $1.25 for a 300 count box of q-tips, $1.25 for a 3 pack of brushes (metal, brass and plastic), cheap toothbrushes with tiny heads, zip lock bags for holding parts. Lots of types of baskets and containers on the cheap. Their paper towels suck. I like getting my cleaning supplies there, I clean a lot of really dirty saws and lawnmowers.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dollar store, $1.25 for a 300 count box of q-tips, $1.25 for a 3 pack of brushes (metal, brass and plastic), cheap toothbrushes with tiny heads, zip lock bags for holding parts. Lots of types of baskets and containers on the cheap. Their paper towels suck. I like getting my cleaning supplies there, I clean a lot of really dirty saws and lawnmowers.

The Harbor Freight TP is a little rough.

1725306697632.png

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*f-wording genius!! My dumb donkey(beat the censor ship 😂) has been using The more expensive cleaning supplies for quite some time. I always run out and never thought if I were to spend the same amount on dollar store *s-word I wouldn't run out 😂 but at the same time I really want a parts washer and a ultrasonic cleaner. Currently my super strong cleaning method is total over kill for a lot of parts and will destroy alot of parts. Predator 212 connected to a 2500 psi 3.1 gpm triplex pump. Only part of a saw Im okay with using a pressure washer on is the cylinder and that would also depend on what saw

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*f-wording genius!! My dumb donkey(beat the censor ship 😂) has been using The more expensive cleaning supplies for quite some time. I always run out and never thought if I were to spend the same amount on dollar store *s-word I wouldn't run out 😂 but at the same time I really want a parts washer and a ultrasonic cleaner. Currently my super strong cleaning method is total over kill for a lot of parts and will destroy alot of parts. Predator 212 connected to a 2500 psi 3.1 gpm triplex pump. Only part of a saw Im okay with using a pressure washer on is the cylinder and that would also depend on what saw

I just have to ask.......how old are you?

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I don't know if you're hinting at immaturity or getting ready to say act your age or something like that. Yea I know I'm pretty immature and have next to no experience with really anything in life, I'm ashamed to say I'm 28.

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I apologize if that is not what you're getting at. I have a tendency to always expect the bad outcome with things. I don't mean to do that it just is what it is and That is something I'm trying to change.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I apologize if that is not what you're getting at. I have a tendency to always expect the bad outcome with things. I don't mean to do that it just is what it is and That is something I'm trying to change.
Coming from a friend who has struggled with addiction myself, that is part of the addictive lifestyle, instantly assuming someone is " out to get you"... something i have struggled with for years... it does get better though in recovery 😉

More on topic with this thread, i am a stihl certified mechanic, and wrench all day every day, and my box is 99% pittsburgh pro or jobsmart from TSC...also have a few Hyper Tough pieces, found a 18v hyper tough sawzall on clearance for $20 6 yrs ago, still going strong and i have beat the crap outta it... about the only things i have managed to break are the wobble extensions (the chrome ones to be specific) they dont like being subjected to off center loading with a 12" strap on flex head.... but when i break one, theres an HF 3 blocks from work... run over on my lunchbreak and grab a new one...

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Coming from a friend who has struggled with addiction myself, that is part of the addictive lifestyle, instantly assuming someone is " out to get you"... something i have struggled with for years... it does get better though in recovery 😉
It doesn't help that I'm kinda stuck with the immaturity part. I guess that what happens when a 11 year old does meth then heroin at 12 all the way up until 19. I missed out on the best and worse parts of growing up. Damn central Oregon school system just sent me home for 2 days when I came to them freaking out hallucinating from lack of sleep. They didn't even inform my family.

As for the tool part I have 1 hyper tough that has been exactly that. tough!! The little tiny claw hammer!!! 😂 Other than that and maybe their rotary tool bits(depending on what) I've had troubles with. Most recently a electronic keypad door knob. Worked flawlessly for 2 days and now it does but doesn't? It's got its own mind.... I've broken a few of those hf wobble extensions myself usally on exhaust manifold bolts specifically the flange ones. I can't speak for the icon ones because I only own their impact sockets but gear wrench chrome wobbles I've not had one break even if it's on my Ingersoll rand 2235(1/2 inch impact). When I use that I use a 1/2 hose at 95psi.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It doesn't help that I'm kinda stuck with the immaturity part. I guess that what happens when a 11 year old does meth then heroin at 12 all the way up until 19. I missed out on the best and worse parts of growing up. Damn central Oregon school system just sent me home for 2 days when I came to them freaking out hallucinating from lack of sleep. They didn't even inform my family.

As for the tool part I have 1 hyper tough that has been exactly that. tough!! The little tiny claw hammer!!! 😂 Other than that and maybe their rotary tool bits(depending on what) I've had troubles with. Most recently a electronic keypad door knob. Worked flawlessly for 2 days and now it does but doesn't? It's got its own mind.... I've broken a few of those hf wobble extensions myself usally on exhaust manifold bolts specifically the flange ones. I can't speak for the icon ones because I only own their impact sockets but gear wrench chrome wobbles I've not had one break even if it's on my Ingersoll rand 2235(1/2 inch impact). When I use that I use a 1/2 hose at 95psi.
On the immaturity, if you get yourself clean (currently approx 6 months clean from my own vices) the maturity will follow... i do have a few yrs on you as well though, being 36... so that helps...

Most of the wobbles that i have broken have been wrenching on my car... subaru stuck the front caliper bracket bolts slightly behind the lower strut bolts... and i live in the rust belt... you can see where that is headed...LOL havent sheared off any of the 1/2" ones yet, not for lack of trying, put em on the ole snappy mg725 all the time...

I have never seen the need for the icon stuff, the pitts pro stuff has held up for me for 10 yrs now, in that time frane aside from the 3/8 wobbles, i did crack a 14mm deep socket, but that was a chrome on my snappy mg31 3/8 gun....

(Dont worry, i didnt buy either of the snappys new, LOL picked up the 725 for $100 off ebay, and the 31 was aquired from an aircat fanboi for thw price of lunch... both got rebuild kits when i got them, and run like new...)

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn you got that 31 for a steal. I'm trying to talk a buddy of mine into selling me his thunder gun (no not the "thunder gun" Amazon has) the real deal. straight from a NASCAR pit crew. I can't convince him tho 😭 I don't have much experience with the nano sized 1/2 impacts(right angle impact I do) but I got one of those astro pneumatics oynx v2s. It's a feisty little guy. No load 10.000 rpm. For a little impact it a freaking die grinder in terms of speed 😂 2235 8500 but 10,000 at 500ftlbs vs 8500 at 1350ftlbs obviously in a perfect setting.

I feel as if pneumatics when test by the company for ratings it's like a 2 stroke less oil higher preformence. They probably run the *f-worders near dry then test it (dry of oil) also add in quality of oil that is used. IDK about you but my go to oil is super lube air tool oil. Has next to no smell, it is clear and to some people this matters it's FDA approved. When it comes to any type of lubricant related products for me it's super lube and liqui moly. Absolutely NO exceptions for my foredom!! superlube grease only not even foredom's grease goes in it 😂

funny story about super lube. I was washing the outer shaft of my foredom in the sink one day and my mother was over. She comes up to me and says. Boy are you serious? I responded huh? She said in the sink!! where dishes that you eat from are done? I've seen you put grease in that thing before!!!! The tub of grease was sitting on the counter right next to me. I said oh you mean this grease? Dunked a finger in it and ate it. The look of absolute terror that came acrossed her face. For a instant I thought she was gonna have me committed 😂 sorry I know long response lol

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 31, kid had more money than brains...LOL bought it used, didnt understand how a reverse bias tool worked (air motor is timed to create more torque and rpm in reverse for loosening stuff) and thought it was defective... as far as air tool oil... this bottle has been thru heck and back, but you see what i use....LOL cant tell i used to work for John Deere either..... 🤣

17253803615922518290234768067370.jpg

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get free hats,shirts and other accessories from John Deere every couple of months. Isn't it awesome when you come across situations like that? I mean person not knowing what they have. Went to a garage sail one time, found a box with a bunch of lightly rusted taps and dies(probably 300 pieces) they sold it to me for 3 dollars. Probably thought this guys crazy buying a cardboard box full of rusty bolts 😂

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This picture was supposed to be attached to my last post but everytime I hit post reply I got the oops something went wrong message.
IMG_20240903_094113615.jpg

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got this off him for $40 as well.... he had owned it for about 3 months when he dropped a grease tube and shattered the plastic cap, didnt clean the bits of plastic out of the grease and sent it thru the check valve... next tube of grease he put in wouldnt prime... he bought a new one... having been down that road before with manual grease guns i knew exactly what was wrong, and had it cleaned out in 5 min... at the time i was running only 12v milwaukee, so i have about 7 batteries for it...LOL now aside from the m12 ratchet its my only other m12 item... LOL

17253827364611530705807085626428.jpg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if you're hinting at immaturity or getting ready to say act your age or something like that. Yea I know I'm pretty immature and have next to no experience with really anything in life, I'm ashamed to say I'm 28.
I was not hinting at anything, it was a pretty direct question.

I asked because I have seen many of the threads you start and posts you make. They appear to be all over the place on topics and lack focus. I am not saying anything negative or positive just observing. Younger folks tend to lack focus, hence the question.

Your later comment explains a lot

It doesn't help that I'm kinda stuck with the immaturity part. I guess that what happens when a 11 year old does meth then heroin at 12 all the way up until 19.........

There is no doubt illicit drugs have an effect on many. Crack cocaine became a huge issue in the early 1980's. Women were doing crack while pregnant. The babies in the womb were affected. In 1995 I was teaching Agriculture and Industrial Arts at a very small rural school. I was warned that the incoming freshman class had several boys that were in foster care because they had been born to crack addicted mothers. The kids were very hard to deal with. One really needed a helmet as he would ram his head into a concrete wall. I have seen the effects and it is rough

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya I'm sorry for jumping straight to conclusions. The all over the place/engery with lack of focus for me is the same as the seasons throughout the year. Summer is the worse for it. Attention deficit ooohh shinny disorder awakens when everything else does. Here 9 months of "winter" just rain rain and did i mention rain!!!! And Since 19 I've been in almost total isolation from society as well (including all forms of media) so I'd imagine that doesnt help. Isolation was because I didn't/still don't trust myself,fear of relapse. This is all pretty new to me.

One of the reasons I joined this site is because well obviously chainsaw related things but I feel like other sites would shut me down instead of being understanding like this one has been. Im hoping this site helps me with my social anxiety as well. In person situations, im dead set on do what the hell is needed with the lease interaction with others and go home.
Got this off him for $40 as well.... he had owned it for about 3 months when he dropped a grease tube and shattered the plastic cap, didnt clean the bits of plastic out of the grease and sent it thru the check valve... next tube of grease he put in wouldnt prime... he bought a new one... having been down that road before with manual grease guns i knew exactly what was wrong, and had it cleaned out in 5 min... at the time i was running only 12v milwaukee, so i have about 7 batteries for it...LOL now aside from the m12 ratchet its my only other m12 item... LOL

View attachment 431874
How is the ratchet? Powered ratchets I've got 1 earthquake impacting pneumatic ratchet 1 hart pneumatic 1 kobalt 24 volt and a DeWalt 12volt. By the way if you got no experience I only just discovered harts pneumatics line of tools, their die grinder was the first item I got because it was cheaper than a Central pneumatic it's got better torque than my chief mini close to my aircat.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya I'm sorry for jumping straight to conclusions. The all over the place/engery with lack of focus for me is the same as the seasons throughout the year. Summer is the worse for it. Attention deficit ooohh shinny disorder awakens when everything else does. Here 9 months of "winter" just rain rain and did i mention rain!!!! And Since 19 I've been in almost total isolation from society as well (including all forms of media) so I'd imagine that doesnt help. Isolation was because I didn't/still don't trust myself,fear of relapse. This is all pretty new to me.

One of the reasons I joined this site is because well obviously chainsaw related things but I feel like other sites would shut me down instead of being understanding like this one has been. Im hoping this site helps me with my social anxiety as well. In person situations, im dead set on do what the hell is needed with the lease interaction with others and go home.

How is the ratchet? Powered ratchets I've got 1 earthquake impacting pneumatic ratchet 1 hart pneumatic 1 kobalt 24 volt and a DeWalt 12volt. By the way if you got no experience I only just discovered harts pneumatics line of tools, their die grinder was the first item I got because it was cheaper than a Central pneumatic it's got better torque than my chief mini close to my aircat.
It has decent torque, and the biggest thing i like is it has a normal 3/8 sized ratchet head, fits in a lot more places than a pneu or other larger headed ratchet... havent used any other brand ones, but cant see any of them being any better... i started off with milwaukee because of thier impacts, and hate having multiple chargers and incompatible batteries so my battery stuff is pretty much all milwaukee (aside from my hyper tough sawsall and my cheapo aliexpress pruning chainsaw) havent really needed anything recently for pneu tools, as i have several tractor supply die grinders both straight and 90°, and my snappy impacts, everything else is battery that i need...

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your the opposite of me when it comes to batteries,chargers and tools. I've got a wall in my shop that's rainbow colored just from chargers. I like tools and tools that work 😅

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your the opposite of me when it comes to batteries,chargers and tools. I've got a wall in my shop that's rainbow colored just from chargers. I like tools and tools that work 😅
Then buy quality not chicom.