Semi chisel chain

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys like? I’m looking to pick up a few loops in 3/8 x .050. I need 16,20,and24”. Im usually a full chisel and square. Not too often I get to dabble with semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might very well be wrong but I don't think the Husqvarna x cut chain is available in semi chisel. I've ran a few loops of Forester 24" semi chisel and I like it fine...

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
3:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I mostly use the Bailey's house brand (Woodland Pro) chisel and semi-chisel. I don't think it stays sharp quite as long as my Stihl chains, but it is also half the cost. If I remember right, it is just rebranded Carlton. I am just a firewood cutter, though. I can afford to take the time to touch up the chain every tank or so.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some time ago I tried some of that Baileys chain but it didn't work out well .At the time it was deeply discounted like a loop of 72 driver 3/8" .050 for 10 bucks .I think the whole lot of it was defective .I stopped using Baileys some time back when the ownership changed .Things however may have changed by now .Saying that the last several years for no more than I use I pony up the money for Stihl chain .

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only semi-chisel chain I've ran was Stihl and I thought it did good. It came on a saw I bought.

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello, Husqvarna c83-c85 is 3/8 full chisel Chain. But Husqvarna have the x-cut Chain in 0,325 and that is semi chisel.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old Homelite #38 is pretty good semi chisel, probably some rolls floating around in EBay.
Oregon dura cut with the triple chrome has been a great loop I have on my 028. Its seen copper, barb wire, and nails and has been very durable.

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I run a lot of x cut chain and I've never seen S83 here in the states, from any seller...Ever.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience semi chisel isn't worth using on any mid to high powered saw as long as You know how to sharpen a full chisel chain, either round or square - I am a "round guy" myself!

Semi hitting dirt while bucking will stop self feeding just the same as full chisel, just because the operator can FORCE further bucking cuts by utilizing the saws bucking spikes/dawgs doesn't make it right as by doing so the wear to chain, bar and PH increases exponentially.

Also, even when sharp semi chisel requires much more power from the PH to be pulled through a log than a identically round ground/filed full chisel loop.
And semi chisel cuts much slower than full chisel!

I have some Stihl RM semi chisel in 3/8" that I made some test cuts, can't remember how I felt about it (I think I got a video of it on YT).
I also have several semi chisel loops on my mid to small saws in 3/8" LowProfile and .325".
Lets just say that my 40cc wearing a full chisel .325" loop out cuts my 46cc wearing a semi chisel .325" loop - same log.

Semi chisel does have its place in the chainsaw world, but so far I came to the conclusion that place is for users whom do not know how to sharpen a full chisel chain.

Stay clear of low budget semi chisel chains, I still have a TriLink semi chisel loop - it is underwhelming.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having to cut trees and stumps in a campground is arguably the best place for semi chisel chain.
I like to think I'm half way decent at sharpening full chisel chain ,but when you "find" objects in a tree with a chain the restoration of semi chisel chain is apparent. Rocks and steel may dull or fold your edge down but it doesn't wreck the corner halfway back the tooth like full chisel.
I stump cut almost exclusively with .404 semi chisel or chipper chain, if I've got more than a couple stumps.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like semi. I really like it in 404 keep it on a 288 with 24” stays sharp exponentially longer

I like stihl semi but I quit buying it years ago. For semi I’m buying archer chain. It does what I want and they now offer it in skip