High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Sawhorse Help

Agent Orange

Stihl trying
Local time
6:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Don't let me down OPE, I'm tired of bending down to buck. Then the rest of the log rolls of my makeshift stump work surface. I just bucked for an hour and a half and my back is killing me.
( I'm done crying now ) :crybaby2:

Give me pictures or tips for building a good sawhorse for chewing up firewood!

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doen't matter the saw to me, longer bars truly help the back. It's a logger's wisdom passed to me. My ms260 uses a 24'' bar even though most wood it cuts are around 18'' or less.

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you create a saw horse what are you using to load the logs onto said saw horse?

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I built a saw horse 2 years ago for cookie cutting competitions with 10 foot long 22-24'' wide logs. Easily holds a ton and is height adjustable.

Have to use a loader tractor though....

Steve NW WI

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's mine, kinda purpose built, but it's adaptable if need be. More pics and an explanation of what I use it for here: http://opeforum.com/index.php?threads/1654/

275815d7211e03e77b8b6710ded8d619.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Philbert's Low-Tech Saw Bucks

Made these up a few years ago. Needed something sturdy, simple, that folded for transport/storage, and that I was not afraid of dinging up. They turned out to also be easy to make, cheap, and made use of 'indigenous materials'.

I used scrap 2X4s and plywood or chip board salvaged from a construction dumpster. They can be made any size you want, or depending on the materials available. It is easiest if you drill all of the hinge/pivot holes first to be sure that they are dead center. Then glue/nail/screw the panel pieces so that each side is spaced identically. Use washers to adjust for gaps or warpage. If you want, you can also use 'T'-nuts and round head screws, instead of hex bolts and nuts, to reduce the chance of your chain hitting a fastener.

The panels made these extremely rigid, and there is no fancy mortising or joinery. Varnish/seal them if you plan to leave them outside. If they get cut or ruined, they are simple to replace. The holes in the larger saw buck are for lifting/carrying, and for hanging in the garage.

P3101652.jpg
P3101653.jpgP4021281.jpgP4021282.jpg

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the little one. What is the length of the 2x4's in used in the small buck?
Just measured it for you - 20 inches.

That was just made out of some scrap I had. It was not designed to be any specific height, but I thought I could use it just to keep the saw out of the dirt. It keeps the log from rolling as much as it might if placed on other logs. Turned out to be a convenient size to throw in the car and take to saw demos at GTGs too.

photo 61.jpg
photo 51.jpg

If I had a lot of branches and limbs to buck, I would prefer a straight sided one, like the one Steve NW WI built, as that design helps keep the smaller wood from riding up the sides.

Philbert

nomad_archer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Philbert. I some stuff about the size in your picture with the electric saw and some a little smaller. I usually get the small stuff with the big stuff when the tree service calls. So I have been bucking a little more small stuff lately and I hate cutting on the pile. I am going to have to throw one of these together. I have scrap 2x4s laying around.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've been considering either a saw buck or some sort of table to cut on. I have a dump load of small logs that range from 3-4" at the small end up to 10-12 at the butt. They are about 16' so I could cut them in half and half and stack them in a saw buck/table and cut down the pile all at once. I have some pallets and scraps to build with... Hmmmm