Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An interesting (well, sort of) question is where the borderline between a build and (just) a modification should be.

My impression is that the word "build" is used more liberally than it really should, about work that really is (just) a modification, maybe combined with a repair?

Good point, for me a saw build is taking a "junk" saw, take it completely apart and re-build it. Whether or not modifications are involved along the way matters not. If it just making a saw run, that to me is just a repair. For others that do different work, it may mean something totally different, such as a porting job with all the modifications that go along with. Kind of like R&R can mean so many different things. Remove and replace, remove and repair and so on.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Most saws I port arrive in peices so I generally build saws.

Others may call that a repair or a re-build (I don't have a firm opinion on the matter) - the "problem" is of course that people are using the same words about very different tasks, and I don't think there is a "final answer".

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Others may call that a repair or a re-build (I don't have a firm opinion on the matter) - the "problem" is of course that people are using the same words about very different tasks, and I don't think there is a "final answer".
It's all an interpretation of words, I've had the same discussion many times in the guitar world. A guy can buy all the pieces to a guitar that are prefinished and ready for assembly. All he has to do is screw them together and maybe do some minor fitting. He calls that a guitar build, or I am building a guitar. Another guy can start with a pile of rough sanwn lumber and mill out all his own parts, do his own finish work, and then assemble into a playing instrument. He also says he built a guitar. Both are considered "builds" but on completely opposite ends of the spectrum.