Santa Cruz, CA GTG

Bob95065

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to invite you to a GTG in the mountains above Santa Cruz, CA the weekend of April 29th. This GTG will follow the format of the Bothe-Napa GTG held in November every year - it will more of a work GTG. There will be plenty of fun with a focus on helping make our mountains fire safe. We will provide camping in neighbor’s yards and portable toilets. There will also be a shower for use. I will work on arranging food for the group but some meals may not be provided. I’ll update those who are coming as it gets closer.

Our neighborhood was at the edge of the 2020 CZU Lightning Fire . We banded together as a neighborhood to make our community fire safe. We held work days where we created defensible space for the elderly and needy in our neighborhood. We also applied for a Firewise Certification that we got in the fall of last year.

Like the GTG in Napa one of the things we’ll do is fell problem trees in our neighborhood to continue the effort to make it fire safe. As we work in the neighborhood this spring we plan to mark trees that are beyond our ability for the GTG. In the 2020 fire over 900 homes were lost in our mountains. We’ll have fun while making a neighborhood safe.

We are less than a mile from Henry Cowell State Park which is home to old-grown redwood trees. Sunday we’ll spend some time in the park to see these giants. With an estimated 5% of the old growth trees left it’s a treat to hike among them. If you would like to see the ocean the beaches in Santa Cruz are a 10 minute drive south.

If you are interested please post in this thread so we can get a headcount for food and drink.

651264-c11f5eeefb52cfa585d4aa3adacf29be.data.jpg

651265-9461273b71fd63f30f6bc8c7650a980d.data.jpg

NorcalFlyingsquirrel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heck yes, I live in Boulder Creek and am just rebuilding a Silvey tree saver and am a trouble tree faller/ climber for Davey Surgery. I also have an air cannon for setting lines up high on trouble trees. I better get that jack finished sounds like we got work to do! Gareth Jones 12150 Hwy 9, Boulder Creek. (408) 674-7856.

Bob95065

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks again guys! I had a great time and look forward to when we can do it again.

Napa is in November around Veteran's Day. There's a thread on AS.