High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Runaway Cat C-12

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So here is a random thought but why don't thee high dollar motors have a OH CHIT flap on the intact track to can pull to choke the air supply off?
That's a good question...but I suspect manufacturing cost vs the very low statistical rate of runaway occurrences.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's forced in most classes now besides street trucks

Well are they really that complicated or cumbersome to install on a road vehicles?

TALLGUY

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work in a Diesel shop all day. I was walking by a truck in the shop the other day and saw a truck with just such a device. I could see no good reason that truck should have said device but it was there and had a switch on the dash for "emergency shut down". After seeing this thread maybe this is more common than I thought. For the life of me I can't remember what vocation this truck was. May have been a garbage truck, it wasn't a over the road haul truck.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, no update unfortunately. The place we ordered the turbo from thought their vendor would have one on the shelf ready to ship but they did not. So they rebuilt one today and it was to be overnighted today, should be here tomorrow.... Got everything put back together that we could without having the new turbo.... If it comes in early enough tomorrow, we should have a test run in and if all goes well she will be harnessed back up and pushing snow... Just in time too...we have a two day snow event forecast for this area starting late tonight.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just about every fire truck that I have worked on had the emergency shutdown on the engine. All of them where Detroit two strokes. They used a large spring loaded door on the side of the blower housing, pull the cable door opens , dumps air entering engine and engine shuts down.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've heard that most of the old 2-stroke Detroits had air shut-offs.

I still think it is not common nowadays due to cost of manufacturing vs the statistically low occurrences of runaways these days.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd LOVE to transplant a C-16 into my truck!!

At a past truck driving job, I drove a '99 Pete 379 with a 3406E, 550hp. If I recall it was just shy of 15 liter. This was just prior to the introduction of the "C" lineup. That was a pulling mother effer!

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We had Pete 379’s and kw w900 all 300” wheelbase c-16 18 speeds with wet kits and heavy haul spec suspension and axles. My favorite was a old 1982 Ford L9000 day cab with a turned up 3406. It had one single six inch stack with no muffler. It was an ex oil field truck. It was fun to run through town and hit the engine brake on that one lol!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well boys, she lives!! Took it for a test run with a load on it, pulls as hard as ever, no strange noises and oil pressure normal. Test drive revealed that the runaway incident smoked the fan clutch so I had to bring her back and get a new fan clutch installed. That grinding noise right at the end of the vid is the PTO trying to engage. We have PTO the require the engine to be off to engage and we sometimes forget and leave them in, then when air pressure comes up enough to start engaging the PTO, it reminds us with the grinding... All said and done, it seems she survived! All harnessed up and ready to push snow again!!