(resolved) Stihl 025 hard to pull

mzimmers

New OPE Member
Local time
11:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all -

I've got a Stihl 025 that has become quite hard to pull-start. When I remove the spark plug, it's super easy. I've tried pulling it with the plug out to see if it was hydrolocked; I'm fairly sure it's not. I've noticed that it's considerably easier to pull with the switch in the "off" position (not particularly useful, but another data point).

Any ideas? Thanks...

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it is easy to pull with no plug and easier to pull with kill switch off I would start by checking timing make sure flywheel key did not shear off if timing is too far advanced it will fire too early and try to pull the rope back in when try to start it

mzimmers

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it is easy to pull with no plug and easier to pull with kill switch off I would start by checking timing make sure flywheel key did not shear off if timing is too far advanced it will fire too early and try to pull the rope back in when try to start it
Thanks, Shane. I'll take a look at the flywheel today.

One thing I've learned over the years is that, whether the equipment in question is tools, guns or golf clubs -- they aren't meant to be forced. If you find yourself trying to force something...you're doing it wrong.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi all -

I've got a Stihl 025 that has become quite hard to pull-start. When I remove the spark plug, it's super easy. I've tried pulling it with the plug out to see if it was hydrolocked; I'm fairly sure it's not. I've noticed that it's considerably easier to pull with the switch in the "off" position (not particularly useful, but another data point).

Any ideas? Thanks...
The only way those are hard to start is if the recoil has something stuck in the pulley.
Take the covers off and clean it thoroughly.

mzimmers

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The only way those are hard to start is if the recoil has something stuck in the pulley.
Take the covers off and clean it thoroughly.
But with the plug out, it's super easy to pull, so I figured the pulley is fine.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some say the 025 and the 250 have always been tough to pull start. And, Stihl recognized this and made the 251C with and easy-start option that has a spring assist. It works and my 251C has one. I obtained it from a widow in need of money and whose late husband bought the saw.

Three years ago I sold an 025 to a strong lady who loves the saw. She makes a very slow first pull and then a strong second and all subsequent pulls. No trouble at all for her. She says, "Where there's a will, there's a way."

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the carb is not running rich, dumping in fuel that rules it out as the issue.
If you run it then shut it off for a minute or 3 is it then hard to pull or does it start and run easy.

mzimmers

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I took the saw to the local Stihl service shop this morning. Their guy tried it, and said it's fine as is. He showed me a new technique for starting, too: instead of holding the saw stationary, and pulling the cord, he held the cord, and "dropped" the saw with his other hand. It does make it easer to start. So, I guess this was something of a non-issue. He also offered me a $90 trade-in on a new $650 unit, which I politely declined.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find it best if I put the chain brake on before starting As a few times I’ve forgot and it’s been on hot start.:rolleyes:.
Then the chain spins a Bit to fast for one a handed trick.:eek:
I quickly blip the throttle to go to idle..

Btw chainsaw instructors don’t like dropstarts for this exact reason. :risas3:

edit I always dropstart. I’ve just gotta be careful who’s around when I do it.

Last edited:

Michael Rupley

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have three of them here 2 250s and a 025
One had a blackberry vine tangled up in the recoil
How many do you have?
Well at present only one 250 and two 021 but believe me, I have had plenty and the timing advance is the problem, most of the time. Factory idea. Take your choice: easy starting or more power.
Notice how the people with problems will tell us it spins easy without a plug but never say how it pulls over with the switch OFF!

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well at present only one 250 and two 021 but believe me, I have had plenty and the timing advance is the problem, most of the time. Factory idea. Take your choice: easy starting or more power.
Notice how the people with problems will tell us it spins easy without a plug but never say how it pulls over with the switch OFF!
He mentioned it was easier to pull with the switch off I thought timing too. Is that just how these are to run well? Or can you retard the timing a little?

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He mentioned it was easier to pull with the switch off I thought timing too. Is that just how these are to run well? Or can you retard the timing a little?

The ms250's I have all had a few degrees of give and take in the flywheel key. One of them matches the OP complaint of handle wanting to rip from your hands at first fire. So far I have not had the ambition to remove the starter to retard the flywheel. All flywheels were installed with pull rope on top of piston and flywheel held fully counter clockwise while tightening flywheel nut. I wish @mzimmers would have attempted to reposition his flywheel to see if that would have made it easier to start. I have read that increasing the coil gap could help in this scenario. Some say it would retard timing but I wonder if it just weakens the spark requiring more RPM's before first fire.