Ratcheting Wrench

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looking to update my Craftsman ratcheting wrenches. The graduations are to large between clicks and sometimes they just don't work. I am open to suggestions and times when to buy (on sale). Id like a quality product with a warranty. Not opposed to flex head box end either. Probably cant justify Snap on unless used. Looking for both sets metric and standard.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gearwrench is on my radar.
I am not sure if I am stuck on 6 or 12 point being ok.

Homelite750

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you want an offset box end and reverse switch? I'm looking for new sets myself and those are my 2 things they must have. I also want a full set no skipped sizes. I'm going to upgrade from my 12 point reversible switch gearwrench sets. I got my gearwrench sets 2 years ago for half price at advanced auto parts on sale. I recently used them outside on a dirt road in sandy dusty conditions and one ratchet completely locked up and another is hard to get the switch to work and doesn't ratchet smoothly. I have found the open ends to be okay but nothing great. I think I'm going to get sets from Carlyle at Napa. They have 6 point box ends and open and box ends have anti slip features. Lifetime warranty and napa is 5 minutes from the shop I work at, if they don't have it that day it will be in the next day. Part number for metric set is rwr612m. Sometimes they are on sale in napas real deals flyer. Others sets I was looking at are from Capri tools and tekton. I've looked at sets on the Cornwell and Snap on trucks and they seem nice but are pricey.

Lcfd1124

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's any consolation, I'm a snap on person through and through, every tool I own is snap on. My snap on man refuses to sell their ratcheting wrenches, he only sales the gear wrench brand. I own the gear wrench and MAC brands and live them both.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
1:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you buy anything other than gear wrench please update us as to how they work out.

I have two sets of gw. One is older and it has been flawless. The second set I bought last fall. It has been less than stellar and the wrenches are way thicker but flex more :confused:.

Apparently they changed manufacturing not to long ago.

I've heard good things about the sk ratcheting wrenches but they are serious coin. Thinking about trying a set of Milwaukee or Dewalt just for grins.

Steven

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gearwrench is also made overseas. If your money is going to the best value it has to be on the flex heads or reversible in the big set. I personally have Blackhawk, Mac, snap-on and gearwrench ratchet wrenches in my toolbox and my personal favorites are the Blackhawks. They are unfortunately no longer in production. I sold Mac tools for a while and sold tons and tons of them. After I quit and became a technician, most of my money goes to gearwrench. I do understand the value of a quality tool, but I also want to make money to use for things other than tools. I have the 120xp long flex spline drive set. They are my most used wrenches. I also have a set of reversibles from 8 to 24 and they have their place. What will you be working on with them? Are you an auto tech? you can usually get a buy-one-get-one deal for standard and metric if you look around.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After some more research, I am leaning towards a flex head design reversible not switched. I like the Carlyle wrench and read that the same company that makes them makes Channel lock wrenches which are at a much lower price.
I got a few NAPA emails over the wknd. one saying 25 percent off with a AAA membership. Not sure if anyone has ever tried to navigate the NAPA site, but it is pretty pitiful. So I called my local store. They only have Gearwrench (both sets, not flex) in stock on sale and the AAA discount does not apply to sale items. Any other items can be ordered of course and not sure on the 25 percent discount. May only pertain to certain items.
I will be using them on anything that broke and needs wrenched on. Mostly auto, trailers, atv, snowmobiles etc.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gearwrench were great & made a name for themselves selling good quality affordable ratcheting wrenches produced in Taiwan. Since then a lot of their product is now China made. I much prefer the Kabo made ratcheting wrench, they are Taiwan made which is good. They are sold under different brands such as Matco (expensive), Kabo, and affordably priced Mountain brands to name a few. Kabo also makes the extra long Icon ratcheting wrench. Great mechanism, and small heads for this type of wrench. Carlyle is another brand sold out of Napa(I think) which is worth a look. Great easy warranty with Napa too. Do you want offset reversible wrenches or flat ones with no switch lever? Long or standard? Flex or regular? If you want USA made the SK X-series are a clever unique design but they are not cheap. Snap On are gold standard they revised their design not that long ago, they are the only truly serviceable ratchet wrench I believe but if they are what you desire you may need to take your truck paperwork so you can trade it in.lol

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you buy anything other than gear wrench please update us as to how they work out.

I have two sets of gw. One is older and it has been flawless. The second set I bought last fall. It has been less than stellar and the wrenches are way thicker but flex more :confused:.

Apparently they changed manufacturing not to long ago.

I've heard good things about the sk ratcheting wrenches but they are serious coin. Thinking about trying a set of Milwaukee or Dewalt just for grins.

Steven

I have a set of the Gearwrench flex head twisted shank that are no longer in production ,love them. Also some of the SK long leg ones but I thought SK dropped them because the weren't USA made. Maybe they brought production stateside.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am still seeing the gearwrench flex head twist wrench. That is what caught my eye today. I was looking at the 12 piece sets. Are the Xbeam shorter than the standard flex head?
Ill check out Mountain wrenches and see what I can learn.
If I need to trade my truck it better be a very darn good set of wrenches. Just got a Duramax Denali. Kept my old Silverado to do the dirty work, still love that truck.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am still seeing the gearwrench flex head twist wrench. That is what caught my eye today. I was looking at the 12 piece sets. Are the Xbeam shorter than the standard flex head?
Ill check out Mountain wrenches and see what I can learn.
If I need to trade my truck it better be a very darn good set of wrenches. Just got a Duramax Denali. Kept my old Silverado to do the dirty work, still love that truck.
If you can get the Gearwrenchs with the twisted shank you won't be disappointed. They lay in your hand a nicely as the old satin finish SnapOn's

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always stayed clear from spline drives ever since I tried to use on of those early spline drive socket sets that was supposed to be universal. I was helping a friend, it was all he had, I about walked away. How are you all fairing with spline drives? Do they work well without rounding bolts all the time?

I have a sets of the Gearwrench double box wrenches that have a 12 point single direction ratchet on one side and the same size offset solid 12 point box on the other. They are great for suspension bolts and I've never stripped a head with them. The only problem is they are flat so you can't get them a lot of stuff.

I try not to use flex heads, my knuckle bleed with the slightest hit anymore so I reduce my chances of a slipped wrench as often as possible.

As for normal combination ratchet wrenches I've had them all. My favorites are probably the Blackhawk reversing ones as the switch is hard to accidentally hit. The lever switch ones you hit all the time when choking up on the wrench for speed, the side button style like the Kabos get reversed by obstacles easy on the back swing.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Spline drive is still iffy on round corner bolts.... I find they suck on oil plugs and such. I still use them on most fasteners because I can't find a better set.

Another tool you should all buy is this ratchet from harbor freight. I've broken 10 or so in 6yrs, but lifetime warranty is great and the ratchet is invaluable....Screenshot_20200519-003328.png

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I'm not a huge fan of spline drive either, but with ratcheting wrenches I think the Kabo design is just fine. I won't use a ratcheting wrench in high torque situations in any case but so spline has worked out well. They can be used for E-torx, square, spline, metric/standard fasteners and if you get close no skip sizes I often find you can get a good tight fit with very little 'slop'. The Carlyle wrenches I believe are 90tooth mechanisms too...well worth a look although Napa don't do their big Carlyle tool sales like they used too where you could often get 30%+ off.