High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Random pics (that you took) thread...

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Roof starts Monday. The guys sure took a long time getting those shingles up there, and their delivery truck leaked oil all over my driveway. They did kindly put a bunch of oil dry on the spots though :(
9eccac9e9507914eb70752511c62f17e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I just took a better look at this pic - was on my phone this weekend. I hope your roofers know what they are doing! From what I am seeing you better watch them real close . Shingle should not be stacked across the ridge like that especially in huge stacks. It can cause micro fractures in the shingles and releases the granules where they are bent resulting in a shortened roof life . Think about it - shingles are not meant to be bent that way. I bet if you look at the install instructions on line for that actual shingle it will say something in the fact on not stacking on the ridge. I getting an brand new roof ripped off and new one put on because it was not installed per spec.

Edit - look at you shingle manufacture install guidelines specifically the reveal, overlap and how much they are supposed to cut off for each coarse and throw a tape on the first few courses to make sure they are at spec before you pay the roofers. Different manufactures have different specs.

Edit 2 -- Why would they stack shingles like that before the old roof is off? That's telling me that they may be trying to start bottom rows while old is still coming off. That worries me because old might end up sliding across new installs - not good.

Last edited:

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
1:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just took a better look at this pic - was on my phone this weekend. I hope your roofers know what they are doing! From what I am seeing you better watch them real close . Shingle should not be stacked across the ridge like that especially in huge stacks. It can cause micro fractures in the shingles and releases the granules where they are bent resulting in a shortened roof life . Think about it - shingles are not meant to be bent that way. I bet if you look at the install instructions on line for that actual shingle it will say something in the fact on not stacking on the ridge. I getting an brand new roof ripped off and new one put on because it was not installed per spec.

Edit - look at you shingle manufacture install guidelines specifically the reveal, overlap and how much they are supposed to cut off for each coarse and throw a tape on the first few courses to make sure they are at spec before you pay the roofers. Different manufactures have different specs.

Edit 2 -- Why would they stack shingles like that before the old roof is off? That's telling me that they may be trying to start bottom rows while old is still coming off. That worries me because old might end up sliding across new installs - not good.

I see this every day in new construction and in reroofs. Most the time they do a tear off up to the ridge then get the ice and water and paper down then spread the shingles and tear off the remainder. Your ridge shingles get bent just like this and I don’t think there is a difference in ridge cap versus shingles.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I see this every day in new construction and in reroofs. Most the time they do a tear off up to the ridge then get the ice and water and paper down then spread the shingles and tear off the remainder. Your ridge shingles get bent just like this and I don’t think there is a difference in ridge cap versus shingles.
3 tab shingles might be ok doing that as long as they are not dropped. Most roofs going on today are laminate architectural and should not be stacked on the ridge. It messes up the laminations. The roof caps are not laminated so can bend ok only once when installed. I know it happens all the time as a shortcut but does not make it right.