Quality of store bought firewood?

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lowes and Home Depot carry a European imported firewood of light hardwoods from Latvia. They also have a birch option. I have no idea how you can sell imported wood like that for $7/bundle with all the good wood in the Northeast.

I was at a supermarket today that had "New England" firewood for sale, the usually sized bundle, probably .75 cubic foot. 3 bundles/$20, not bad for kiln dried quality hardwood. Here in southern CT I've been seeing a firewood company selling "Vermont" firewood, not sure why. We have a good mix of hardwoods, VT doesn't have anything better.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Suckers are born every minute. Unless camping and can not move wood, why would we purchase it?
Around here the rich folks that want the fireplace going for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years for the ambiance but it. A week before Thanksgiving at Tractor Supply I saw a guy in Mercedes SUV load 10 bundles into the back.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to sell bundles near a campground that surrounded a lake. People would drive there and buy the firewood from me for $5 a bundle rather than cut their own because that took lots of effort and finding dry wood logs was not the easiest thing to do. They also liked my hardwood better than whatever the service stations and stores sold and my bundles were bigger.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Birch no less. Burn time 15 minutes. I am out wrapping all the oak that is cut, split and seasoned. Must have $100,000 out back. May even drop and bundle all my trees.
Inflation is everywhere. This morning at the grocery store. You can see that even at that price the pallet is almost empty.
View attachment 322014

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$9.99 a bundle? --- That's the highest retail price I have ever seen for a bundle of firewood. We hit $8 here for awhile and I thought that was outrageous. I offered to the gas station owner to bring in the whole amount she had remaining in inventory for $500. She almost choked and admitted that she paid twice that much for what I saw outside.

Last edited:

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$9.99 a bundle? --- That's the highest retail price I have ever seen for a bundle of firewood. We hit $8 here for awhile and I thought that was outrageous. I offered to the gas station owner to being in the whole amount she had remaining in inventory for $500. She almost choked and admitted that she paid twice that much for what I saw outside.
That's the Biden experience

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With all the equipment I bought, plus the gas the V-10 requires, I wonder if I have close to that in my wood?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the Biden experience

Leave the political crap on AS.

Please.

Personally, I've seen enough divisive rhetoric to last me a lifetime.

We really can't afford to keep being Democrats and Republicans. We need to remember that we are all Americans.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another reason my firewood bundles sold well was because of my packing method. I loaded the logs in a cross buck (8 to 10) and wrapped them with bailing twine. I included a 6" length of old garden hose to serve as a carrying handle. Then I looked for small gap openings in the side and filled those with kindling sticks. That tightened up the twine even more and provided help for the buyer to get the campfire going.

I also used multiple-unit discount pricing: one for $5, 2 for $9. and 3 for $12. I almost always sold out 30 bundles a week. Lots of work but I enjoyed it.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son wants to start selling bundles here. I manage a WMA that has two campgrounds, but he can’t sell on state property. We have a neighbor that said he could set up a shed there for people to do the honor system. I have looked at several “bundling machines” to see if I could fabricate one myself. Bundled wood can make money if you have a market for it.