Pulp hooks

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I met with a local firewood seller last week to check out his splitters and he had a few pulp hooks.

Needless to say, after looking at them and seeing how handy they could be for grabbing rounds off of a frozen pile to split I like them a lot.

I see two different kinds of points. One type is a sharp point, and the other style point has a rectangle type.

What do you prefer?

Bondo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ayuh,.... As noted elsewhere, I use a pickeroon for pullin' chunk wood outa the pile to toss into the boiler,....

Out back, in my blockin'/ splittin' yard, I got a maul for knockin' loose frozen blocks for splittin',....
I've got a woodhook there too, but it just plain sucks to use,....

The point is to big, 'n to dull,... it's for pulpwood, which is generally softwood,....
It literally bounces off the frozen hardwood in my piles,....
Gonna bring it in, 'n do some grindin' on it one of these days,....
Gotta make it better, as it's 'bout useless as it is,.....

olympyk_999

there is no better mod than CANTGITRIGHT!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
yup...the sharp point ones just suck, they don't stay in the wood very well, really just a heavy duty hay hook
replaceable tips stick in the wood pretty good, they can be hard to get into frozen wood though, into the end grain is your best bet when frozen

paul bunion

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have two Baileys hooks that look identical to the one shown above. One of the barbs broke off and I sharpened it up a bit. They both have their moments, the stock stubby barbed one will work best in one piece while the sharp one will be the ticket on a different day. Frozen, wet, dry and the particular species all seem to figure in. So you can't get the wrong one point but the other point might work better for you most of the time, just don't know which it will be. You set them with a flick of your wrist. Much different than a pickaroon swing. It's a different tool used under different circumstances to do the same thing.

Whatever I do suggest is that you get two pulp hooks. One for each hand, two splits at once or to drag two longer logs. For horizontal splitting two are great for picking up medium-large rounds. Smack one hook into each end and pick them up. Much easier on your hands.

Just keep your legs out of the plane of your swing, you don't want to skewer your leg.

Last edited:

Jeff Lary

Do it in the woods with your Partner!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its all in how you prepare the tip, if it doesn't stick in the wood the tip profile is wrong. Also they get heated then hammered not sharpened on a grinder.

Habada
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd avoid the Forester brand or any other china knockoff of the GRIPO pulp hook that's made in Canada.

2016-02-10 19.35.00.jpg
2016-02-10 19.35.35.jpg