pressure washer expected psi gauge reading

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a HF predator 4400psi 4.2gpm 13hp pressure washer couple years ago, their big one, it's been fine.
It has an Annovi Reverberi triplex pump.
I forget the exact model pump, rsv4g44 I believe, there is a sticker on the pump identifying it.

1. Got around to buying accessories, a 0-6000psi pressure gauge and I only see about 4000 psi at best and that drops to low 3000's when running the narrow yellow tip (15° ?) It's the first one up from the 0° red blow a hole through something tip. What is the expected gauge psi reading to be expected? It is a glycerin filled gauge off amazon for ~$20, so I honestly don't know how inaccurate it is.

2. Anyone know that if I wanted to buy a **real** AR pump, from AR, if any of them within reasonable size would just bolt on and fit in terms of mounting bracket, shaft size and key? Or is this a one-off pump sold to HF for this pressure washer where I should expect it's one that AR never wants to hear about? I wanna say that when I tried couple months back when I tried looking up that specific pump model at AR's site it wasn't listed. In the future if/when I need a new pump I'd be interested in getting either a slightly larger or smaller pump, specifically the smallest gpm pump for when running off well water.

Last edited:

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know for certain with AR but I picked up canpumps from Amazon. A 3/4 for the 212 engine 3.0gpm I can't recall psi the other pump for the predator 459 max preformence engine. That one specificly was a diy washer. I can get bolt pattern measurements if needed. I'd go to ARs site and get a measurement from there. The predator 420 and 459 share bolt pattern and crank size

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know when it comes to pumps you've got a few things to keep in mind. Horse power shaft size and bolt pattern. Granted I built one for a friend that utilized a diesel about the size of a 212 it was like 3hp?? it ran the same pump my 212 has which is rated. For a 7 or 8hp motor. The diesel was a lot better at running that pump than any 212 or 223 I've seen. I'm pretty sure AR will have what your looking for as long as everything measures out the same. I'd recommend a pump rated slightly less than the engine otherwise you'll roast your engine

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a HF predator 4400psi 4.2gpm 13hp pressure washer couple years ago, their big one, it's been fine.
It has an Annovi Reverberi triplex pump.
I forget the exact model pump, rsv4g44 I believe, there is a sticker on the pump identifying it.

1. Got around to buying accessories, a 0-6000psi pressure gauge and I only see about 4000 psi at best and that drops to low 3000's when running the narrow yellow tip (15° ?) It's the first one up from the 0° red blow a hole through something tip. What is the expected gauge psi reading to be expected? It is a glycerin filled gauge off amazon for ~$20, so I honestly don't know how inaccurate it is.

2. Anyone know that if I wanted to buy a **real** AR pump, from AR, if any of them within reasonable size would just bolt on and fit in terms of mounting bracket, shaft size and key? Or is this a one-off pump sold to HF for this pressure washer where I should expect it's one that AR never wants to hear about? I wanna say that when I tried couple months back when I tried looking up that specific pump model at AR's site it wasn't listed. In the future if/when I need a new pump I'd be interested in getting either a slightly larger or smaller pump, specifically the smallest gpm pump for when running off well water.
I just finished my pressure washer. Bought a new pump and mated it to an older Briggs motor. Took some shopping but I found a pump that wasn't made in China.
What I learned is as long as the shaft diameter and length are the same about any pump will work. As long as you don't overload the motor.
The pressure ratings I have found are only required to be that high for a very short spike in perfect conditions. That's all they apparently have to do to get to claim the super high pump ratings. The extra pressure and gpm definitely helps if your running over a 25' long hose. I've got I believe 50 or 60' of hose and you can tell there is a bit of a pressure drop no matter what pump I use.
Hope this helps.

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just finished my pressure washer. Bought a new pump and mated it to an older Briggs motor. Took some shopping but I found a pump that wasn't made in China.
What I learned is as long as the shaft diameter and length are the same about any pump will work. As long as you don't overload the motor.
The pressure ratings I have found are only required to be that high for a very short spike in perfect conditions. That's all they apparently have to do to get to claim the super high pump ratings. The extra pressure and gpm definitely helps if your running over a 25' long hose. I've got I believe 50 or 60' of hose and you can tell there is a bit of a pressure drop no matter what pump I use.
Hope this helps.
You need to match pump rpm with engine rpm. Electric motor pumps run at a slower rpm.

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need to match pump rpm with engine rpm. Electric motor pumps run at a slower rpm.
I assume we would only be referring to gas powered pumps. The OP says his current washer is 4400psi pump with predator engine. So I assumed he probably wouldn't care much for electric pump info.
My pump manufacturer never asked at any power for the rpm of my motor. Simply shaft length, diameter, and HP rating.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so my focus on this question was (if my psi gauge is not wildly inaccurate) what pressure realistically should be expected when (a) not flowing water the maximum the pump can produce and (b) what you should expect to see when flowing- obviously that will be much lower when using larger tips or no tips but at least with a 15° narrow or the 0° red I have something to go by on condition and performance of my pump rather than feel.

I have a small engine rpm gauge so I can measure engine rpm, which as far as I can tell by ear is running at the expected speed.

For a triplex pump (or any other pump design?) to what extent does pump rotation speed result in higher pressure (until the internal pressure relief is triggered) ?

I guess my washer identifies as 4400psi even though when measured doesn't show above 4000.

Last edited:

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That pressure rating might be with new nozzles and the unloader cranked right in.

One size smaller nozzle might give you the 4k

bretts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just recently finished my pressure washer, it's just a chinese 5.5hp 3000psi jobbie (I needed a pressure washer and it was cheap) the p/o said it ran which it did but not very well. I ended up replacing the carb because it would run on choke but not full throttle.
I thought about fitting a pressure gauge but have no idea where to fit it.
When the trigger is shut off, where does the water go?, I have cable tied the trigger open.

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought about fitting a pressure gauge but have no idea where to fit it.
When the trigger is shut off, where does the water go?, I have cable tied the trigger open.
On a properly running pump when you let go of the trigger will do one of 2 things. The pressure going to the gun will cause a small ball to push up and relieve the pressure to A- back to the pump inlet. (This circulates the water in the head of the pump, heating up as it goes around in circles.) Or B- it gets dumped on the ground and the pump is always getting fresh cold water.

Pressure gauge can go where the HP hose connects to the pump.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it have a black adjustment knob on the unloader so you can adjust it?