nobs25

New OPE Member
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Greetings,

I am using a DeWalt electric pressure washer. Works perfectly fine but recently, after replacing the hose with a better quality one, the breaker trips after releasing the wand's trigger.

It works fine with the OEM hose but the OEM hose isn't that good. So I bought this Uberflex Kink Resistant hose and I am using it with these Quick Connect adapters. As soon as I started using the Uberflex, the breaker started tripping.
What happens is - I turn the washer on, pull the trigger, works fine, I then release the trigger and shortly after (few seconds) the breaker tripps.
I run a series of tests with the original hose and also with the Ultraflex, with/without the quick connectors.
When I use Ultraflex with quick connectors on both end of the hose (exit from the washer to the hose, and hose-to-wand), the breaker trips as described above. It happens in any outlet, 15A, 20A, with/without ext. cord.
When I use the Ultraflex without quick connectors, it works fine.
When the Ultraflex is connected directly to the washer and a quick connect only to the wand, it works fine but the washer/pump "screams" when I release the trigger (It does not trip the breaker).

OEM hose is 25'
Ultraflex is 50'.

I really like the longer hose, but not being able to use a quick connect is annoying.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening and how to fix it? Do I need a different 50" hose? A different set of quick connect?

Thank you.

Reveller Saws

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds right, you are using more amps to push the water farther, then when you let off there is a moment when the pressure wave returns to the pump. In the moment before when the pump triggers an over-pressure and shuts off, the machine is trying to push water against a wall. As I am sure you know, water does not compress so that moment is fairly violent. Normally with the short hose you have some spare amperage to allow that spike to happen.

That's my initial take based on your description, but I have also had breakers wear out before and trip prematurely.

Good luck

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never encountered this, though I think what might be happening is the blue hose flexes too much, so, the washer never receives a high enough overload to kick the pump down (by pass). I would put a cheap slide micrometer on both hoses near the pump connection and see how much it opens up when you let off the handle for both hoses. So, run it, put the mic on it, let off the handle and see if it opens up. I would suspect the blue hose being longer and more flexible is absorbing the impulse, so, it does not pressure peak, so, the pump stays full bore on.

The other thing might be is the stock hose provides a ground circuit, the pump comes on with a loss of pressure which trips the power on relay, when the handle is released it is suppose to break the circuit, and shut the relay off. But, when using the new quick connectors which are all metal, the circuit/ground stays on.

I have a junk electric 1800 psi Husky here, I would have to take it apart to be sure how it works. But, I know the hose is very stiff compared to the newer blue 1/4" and 3/8" hoses I have for gas washers.

nobs25

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds right, you are using more amps to push the water farther, then when you let off there is a moment when the pressure wave returns to the pump. In the moment before when the pump triggers an over-pressure and shuts off, the machine is trying to push water against a wall. As I am sure you know, water does not compress so that moment is fairly violent. Normally with the short hose you have some spare amperage to allow that spike to happen.

That's my initial take based on your description, but I have also had breakers wear out before and trip prematurely.

Good luck

I have never encountered this, though I think what might be happening is the blue hose flexes too much, so, the washer never receives a high enough overload to kick the pump down (by pass). I would put a cheap slide micrometer on both hoses near the pump connection and see how much it opens up when you let off the handle for both hoses. So, run it, put the mic on it, let off the handle and see if it opens up. I would suspect the blue hose being longer and more flexible is absorbing the impulse, so, it does not pressure peak, so, the pump stays full bore on.

The other thing might be is the stock hose provides a ground circuit, the pump comes on with a loss of pressure which trips the power on relay, when the handle is released it is suppose to break the circuit, and shut the relay off. But, when using the new quick connectors which are all metal, the circuit/ground stays on.

I have a junk electric 1800 psi Husky here, I would have to take it apart to be sure how it works. But, I know the hose is very stiff compared to the newer blue 1/4" and 3/8" hoses I have for gas washers.

Thank you both.

It has to be the combination of the new/blue hose and the quick connectors.
As I mentioned, I am using the quick connectors with the OEM hose as well.
The blue hose works perfectly fine when quick connectors are not used, so there has to be something in them that creates this "pressure variance", I just can't get my head around it. It simply doesn't make sense to me.

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might need to upgrade the bypass valve as well
It was factory set to be used with the factory hose which probably expands just a little when the trigger is closed .
The upgraded hose is probably stronger & does not swell as much.
You see this effect most commonly with your regular garden hose
Use a cheap hose and you can see it expanding and contracting as you open & close a trigger style nozzel