Oregon 27rx hyper skip

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
8:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anybody tried this? I'm on the fence buying a loop to try it. I always run .404 as mountain grown hardwoods tend to grow slower and be denser and harder than urban and farm ground wood.

I wonder how the 12 links between will help, I'm sure chain speed will stay up but will it offset the 6 cutters you would have otherwise?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the regular skip version of the 27 chain which is pretty stout. Mostly stumping , it's semi chisel.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Prolly some specialized chain designed to cut other medium other than wood I would guess...

I cant see it being better than full skip in wood, IMHO...

Some kind of firefighter "do all" chain for roofs & side walls?

jcf86mod

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brought 3x 72" loops the other day on recommendation for milling. Having ran it last weekend milling Oak, I found it a nice chain to use, however as for timing against any other chain, I don't have alot of previous experience milling, so can't really compare sorry

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
27ax is what I use on all my .404 stuff. Mostly milling but some stumping and bucking in there as well. Not the fastest bucking but holds and edge for quite awhile.

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve used it and Granberg chain. It takes a lot less power to pull which is probably part of the reason it’s setup like it is. It cuts nice, I think as good as Granberg in most logs. Holds an edge well, better than Granberg based on my experience. I also think it stays on the bar better, especially a long bar in a smaller log where there’s more chain out of the wood than in. Hopefully that last comment made sense.