Status
Not open for further replies.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'll probably head home in another 8-10 days. Stay home then come back for a week or two and finish up.
Thats some work situation you have there Joe...Does it sit ok with you if you dont mind me asking.
I never liked working away for the week and then home for 1 -1/2 days and traveling back. Did it for 3 1/2 yrs from 17 yrs old and went self employed to get out of the working away.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats some work situation you have there Joe...Does it sit ok with you if you dont mind me asking.
I never liked working away for the week and then home for 1 -1/2 days and traveling back. Did it for 3 1/2 yrs from 17 yrs old and went self employed to get out of the working away.

Honestly, it's all I've ever known.

Dad has done it my entire life. Before I started school, mom and I would go with him on jobs.
I had a regular job out of hs at a body shop. Did that for 3-4 years. Decided to take up the family business lol. Dad has been doing it on his own since 94. Figure I will make him a nice retirement package :) so I am basically self employed. This is just a big job. I am typically home more than I am gone working.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Honestly, it's all I've ever known.

Dad has done it my entire life. Before I started school, mom and I would go with him on jobs.
I had a regular job out of hs at a body shop. Did that for 3-4 years. Decided to take up the family business lol. Dad has been doing it on his own since 94. Figure I will make him a nice retirement package :) so I am basically self employed. This is just a big job. I am typically home more than I am gone working.
Oh I seeeeee :)...I was thinking you have to work away all the time due to where the job needs doing (5 hs away). I guess if you can see a end to the long one its not so bad. Be good to get some sun on your back though as the better weather kicks in. You must be close to Quit time...need your Breakfast . USA will be waking soon and the boys will be on the thread.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh I seeeeee :)...I was thinking you have to work away all the time due to where the job needs doing (5 hs away). I guess if you can see a end to the long one its not so bad. Be good to get some sun on your back though as the better weather kicks in. You must be close to Quit time...need your Breakfast . USA will be waking soon and the boys will be on the thread.

Yeh it gets old on these big projects. But the average job is 5-7 days long. Then back home for a few weeks.

I see it as a blessing, this career anyway. Not many my generation (26) are wanting to be bothered with this kind of work. Most of the people that do do it are dad's age 55+. So in 10-15 years this field is going to be desperate for help.

This kind of work applies to forging,stamping,die cast, steel mill, power generation. Pretty much anything with a machined surface or a bored hole that is too large to transport, we can fix it up. Another reason I am doing/learning this type of welding. This press frame was made in 1942. These cannot even be cast in the states anymore. If you wanted a new one made it has a 5-7 year lead time. And a multi million price tag. So it makes since to fix up the old. Once we are done this press will be twice as good as new. Just because of the processes used.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeh it gets old on these big projects. But the average job is 5-7 days long. Then back home for a few weeks.

I see it as a blessing, this career anyway. Not many my generation (26) are wanting to be bothered with this kind of work. Most of the people that do do it are dad's age 55+. So in 10-15 years this field is going to be desperate for help.

This kind of work applies to forging,stamping,die cast, steel mill, power generation. Pretty much anything with a machined surface or a bored hole that is too large to transport, we can fix it up. Another reason I am doing/learning this type of welding. This press frame was made in 1942. These cannot even be cast in the states anymore. If you wanted a new one made it has a 5-7 year lead time. And a multi million price tag. So it makes since to fix up the old. Once we are done this press will be twice as good as new. Just because of the processes used.
Oh the sweet irony Joe...along with the small engine work and some softwood harvesting in times passed , I am a Blacksmith/engineer . The domestic forge work and metalwork has become so hard to find and appears to be so undervalued iv all but stopped having any work from that side. Im mostly making a living from the OPE service/repair work . Thankfully the skills can cross over (as you know only to well) . :D

Status
Not open for further replies.