Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
hows you slacker

worth a shot
Can’t complain really although I went to see an ophthalmologist last week and I have a cataract on my right eye that Iam going to need removing but that not going to be until it starts raining or my work load changes .

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
8:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good evening Jason how have you been my friend
Howdy Todd…doing alright. Having to put up with, deal with, babysit Dallas as you know, can be a damn chore…one of those somebody gotta do it kinda things.

Hope errthang good yer way.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need an opinion. Sears gear drive AH58 power products parts are hard to come by does everyone think I can get away with hitting this piston with crocus cloth and new rings. The jug is cast and can easily be honed. Clearly just a fun saw no porting or crazy stuff.
67857c03fa9f634208eb01abc95cf36d.jpg
Start with Scotchbrite pad and see where it goes. Ive heard of people patching up and running worse.
Especially if its just a play toy.

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a 20V Dewalt 1/4" hex impact driver laying in the middle of the road a couple months ago.
20220122_193614.jpg
It worked fine but my stuff is mostly Milfukee so I didn't have a charger for it. I threw it in the toolbox and forgot about it. I was rooting around today and found it so I decided to go buy a charger. The cheapest standalone charger at Home Depot was $100 (I know knockoff ones can be found online cheap) but they had these drill sets on sale. Comes with a brushless drill, 2 batteries, a charger and bag (not a stupid blow molded case) for $100. Regularly $160, sale ends on Feb 2nd IIRC. Looks like Lowe's is matching that sale as well. I still prefer Milwaukee and I hate how Dewalt markets their tools as 20V even though they are 18V like everyone else, but it's not a bad deal IMO even if you aren't always looking for excuses to buy more tools.
20220122_125257~2.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need an opinion. Sears gear drive AH58 power products parts are hard to come by does everyone think I can get away with hitting this piston with crocus cloth and new rings. The jug is cast and can easily be honed. Clearly just a fun saw no porting or crazy stuff.
67857c03fa9f634208eb01abc95cf36d.jpg

If it's too loose in the bore, have it knurled and hand fit it to the bore for a usable result.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy Todd…doing alright. Having to put up with, deal with, babysit Dallas as you know, can be a damn chore…one of those somebody gotta do it kinda things.

Hope errthang good yer way.
lol babysit me ?
only thing you babysit is that garage full of unused tools lol

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you I'll see where that goes. Yeah just an old gear dive to have fun with.
Lots of good advice up there for sure.
I might add use a non ferrous file to carefully smooth out the rips//snags of aluminum. Clean ring grooves of carbon with an old ring. Final prep white scotch Brite.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh cool I didn't know I could do that. I can do that at work on the lathe.

Easy test is to(with spark hole plugged up) drop the piston in the inverted bore and it should float slowly down. If it drops like a rock it's too loose and will have a hard time transferring heat to the cylinder walls and if it rocks too much can catch a skirt in the intake port.
Hand fitting takes a little while, however when done correctly will make a good long lasting fit, with the benefit of holding some extra oil on the piston to keep the bore lubed better.
Good luck with your restoration repairs.