New water stove - central boiler

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to post this for the fellas like me that have wondered or thought about buying water stove instead of burning a wood insert in fireplace in the basement to heat their home - that’s what I’ve done for years until. Now as far as savings it’s hard to say because i have a huge thermopride furnace that will run you out but i burned very little oil every year. Instead my wife and i ran down the stairs every few hours to feed the insert. It was dry but warm heat after all the basement got warm but had to feed often. I have years of good hard wood put up in the dry and last month bit the bullet for a gasser from central boiler. I’m sure there are other brands out there that will do the same and last as long but i bought cb just because of dealer close. Installed and built a fire - not hard to install if you have a few tools and are handy. Took me a week to get all done but only because lack of time due to work. Anyhow long story short it’s warm in every room of the house and I’m not filling humidifiers up once a day and i feed it twice a day when it’s cold. If i estimate right I’m going to use less than 1/3 of the wood i have been using. I installed it 15 feet from the house and smoke is absolutely not a problem. I worried about spending the $ but it turns out to be the best money I’ve spent in a long while and it has a 26% tax credit when i do my taxes. Hope this post doesn’t jinx something because so far it’s mighty good. Plan to connect my hot water but that’s for a later day when i have a few days off ! Very little maintenance so far and if anybody has questions post it and i will do my best to answer.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those pics are shortly after i set it off trailer. If you’re planning on installing yourself then when they deliver you have to have a big enough tractor to unload it !! Ask me how i know . Had to call a neighbor with a 60 hp tractor to raise it high enough to drive trailer out from under it. My kubota didn’t have enough ummmph to get it done. It weighs about 1800 lbs empty. Moved it into place with steam pipes and raised it up with a jack.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What was cost? What heat exchangers are you using? Thanks Brother Scott.

Reactions: Lnk

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well i wrote check for 15330.00 but that was for everything. Heat thing for my hot water Heat exchanger pipe fittings pump and all the valves. Now I’m supposed to get 26% of that back on my taxes so after a little ciphering i think out of pocket it will be about 10,730.00 And i have to say Best money I’ve spent in a while. Oh and the goober that said we were going to have a very mild winter can kiss it !! Just glad i ordered stove when i did and got it installed The exchanger went into duct work that measured 26”x26” and there wasn’t much room on each side so I’m not sure what sizes they come but it seemed big. What i do know right this minute is —- it’s 31 outside and it’s 75 inside

Attachments

• 493CFEF9-8C8F-4298-8529-8EFFF2AD89E3.jpeg
    493CFEF9-8C8F-4298-8529-8EFFF2AD89E3.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 16

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
31 is a heat wave. Good to hear it's working out for you. My guess is that 26x26 inch exchange is between 150-200,000 btu.

Reactions: Lnk

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sure seems like a lot but it sure is warm air coming out of the vents. It’s not as hot as the air coming from the thermopride oil furnace BUT it sure is a lot cheaper . Of course my dad says - boy you coulda bought a lot of oil for 10 big ones - heck I’m not even sure how much fuel oil is right now per gallon but i am sure I’m not buying any. Last i bought was years ago and seems it was about 2.00 a gal. Bet it’s not that cheap now. If i only heated with the oil furnace and kept it comfortable in the house i really don’t know how many gallons i would burn for a full winter. It might shock me. We’ve had several nights in the teens and the dang wind blowing. I can hear the fan run a lil more on those nights. If it Gets in the 40’s and sun shines the boiler cycles very little in the daytime. When central boiler states you build one fire at beginning of season and not again until next fall - well i believe that’s going to be true.

Last edited:

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sure seems like a lot but it sure is warm air coming out of the vents. It’s not as hot as the air coming from the thermopride oil furnace BUT it sure is a lot cheaper . Of course my dad says - boy you coulda bought a lot of oil for 10 big ones - heck I’m not even sure how much fuel oil is right now per gallon but i am sure I’m not buying any. Last i bought was years ago and seems it was about 2.00 a gal. Bet it’s not that cheap now. If i only heated with the oil furnace and kept it comfortable in the house i really don’t know how many gallons i would burn for a full winter. It might shock me. We’ve had several nights in the teens and the dang wind blowing. I can hear the fan run a lil more on those nights. If it Gets in the 40’s and sun shines the boiler cycles very little in the daytime. When central boiler states you build one fire at beginning of season and not again until next fall - well i believe that’s going to be true.
Now you are not dependent on oil company and their price rates. You have gone green, heating with renewable source, off the fossil fuel merry go round. Turn the heat up and enjoy.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rex i saw the -1 up there on the news / weather. Heck this mess here makes me want to move to fla for the winter no worse than it is. And to think i thought about some land out in Wyoming !!
Grayling was -28 a couple days ago. It's not that bad, we get conditioned to it.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can also keep your house as warm/ comfortable as you like & not worry what the price of oil is.:)

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend just replaced his outdoor boiler with CB upsidebown fire pot. He loves it. His was about same price.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend just replaced his outdoor boiler with CB upsidedown fire pot. He loves it. His was about same price.