cao-2000

OPE Member
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My new CS-590 is making 2 sounds at idle so I made a little video:

One sound is like a little metal on metal clinking, which I don't think I captured in the video, and the other is sort of like a squeaky fan belt.

It seems to change somewhat when taking the chain brake on and off, but still happens in both positions.

Its really hard to tell where it is coming from, but seems to be the loudest at the vented housing where the pull start is.

Don't forget I am the guy who ran the saw at WOT with the chain brake engaged for a few seconds when I first got it...:oops:

I also adjusted the carb with a tach for my 4500 foot elevation according to the service manual (final: 2800 idle, 12,300 WOT); not sure if the noise was happening before that.

Thanks,

Chris

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a known issue/noise (Google it).
I think the consensus is the clutch drum.

cao-2000

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a known issue/noise (Google it).
I think the consensus is the clutch drum.

When I Googled "CS-590 Noise" before, I didn't find much.

After Googling "CS-590 Clutch Drum", I did find a little more, and seems to be QC issue.

Home Depot is sending me a completely new saw.

cao-2000

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had 4 of those 590s just do a muffler mod and you won't hear any squeaking at all
Or anything else for that matter.

Haha, I am definitely thinking about mods.

I did purchase the improved bolt-on muffler diverter from GH Tuning and a Jet without the bypass, but I like doing reversible mods in the event I need to take it in under warranty for some reason.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clutch drums ring easily, and the clutch shoes may fly out just enough to tap it occasionally at idle. Also a ringing can come from spring loaded metal starter pawls tapping against the part they engage with if the idle rpm is slow enough for them to move back into the starting position. The washer that keeps the clutch drum on can squeak like a bad bushing too. It's normal. Rarely the clutch drum bearing might squeak if it is dry. I have heard a bad bushing type squeak from some Stihl clutch drums because a convex ridge around the center of the drum wears a polished concave groove into the clutch, and such surfaces do not like to mesh when spinning at different speeds.

The screeching sound in your video is most likely the clutch drum washer, I'd bet money on it. Clean those parts off if dirty and put a drop of bar oil on it, so it doesn't wear out the washer.

The dinging noise is definitely the starter pawls trying to return to center and hitting the starting pulley because the idle speed is so slow. Both of these issues are nothing to worry about. The starter pulley is designed to deflect the pawls if they are rotating forward, so they won't actually catch or cause any problematic wear.