High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

My 2-unit "660" adventure (2 saw 'frankensteining'), needing some help w/ piston&bottom-end work

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
tl;dr:
#1 - For doing my 1st top-end rebuild, do I need anything beyond a 54mm ring-compressor?
#2 - Do I need other stuff if I plan to do >1 top-end rebuild? I've gotten the proper Klein t27 t-handle, have calipers & porting gear, but no specialty stuff I can think of...want to order now, as my current kit-660 has a bad piston, and shortly I'll receive both a new piston for that one, and a whole new blue g660 (as a 2nd unit, I want/need 2 if it's to be for job use as well!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, luck wasn't on my side when my piston got chewed-up on my new kit-660, but it doesn't really bother me because the unit (besides it's top-end...I think!) is just chock-full of OEM greatness on all the important stuff (and more), new walbro carb etc etc., at any rate though I'm pretty sure the cylinder is gone and piston is definitely destroyed.

I'm posting to ask Re replacing the top-end, whether or not (probably NOT) I can refinish&salvage the cylinder, no matter what I need to do my 1st ever removal ./ install of a piston :p (I ported my 590 successfully so am not an utter noob, but I am at the flywheel, the bottom end and the piston!)

What gear should I buy if I'm going to have 2 of these saws, and intend to do multiple top-end projects or ports/rebuilds?

I know: Ring Compressor (54mm)... that's it!! I have digital calipers, have everything for porting and have every 'regular' tool (hand tools &power tools) any homeowner would have in a 'solid garage', EXCEPT a proper vice.... I want to order any&everything I need, NOW, because I have a blue G660 pre-assembled china660 en-route right now, and w/ @Ronie generously offering to send me a piston, it's a mailing-race between which project is first:
#1 -- My work-saw, initially built on the blue bottom-end but w/ all the OEM / walbro /etc swapped-over to it,and
#2 -- My "play saw", which will get a piston (maybe P&C) swap right off the bat, but subsequently be a "mostly-Blue Thunder" unit that I'm going to port & 'push'

My thinking there & being I'll break saw #2 here&there but unit #1 should be quite reliable and, when unit 1 goes down, my work w/ #2 - and the on-hand nature of it being a parts-saw as well - means I can do immediate, in-house repairs to unit #1, using aftermarket parts, until OEM is delivered and saw #1 gets yet-another OEM upgrade!

Only recently got the CS-590, love it but quickly found I NEED to have 2 comparably powerful saws, if I'm going to use 1 of them to begin something like, say, cutting a felling notch (otherwise how do you cut-out a stuck bar, or finish your back-cut if the saw died, if no backups on-hand?) The 590's great, but the 660 is just a blast, feel so lucky I could "get into this platform" w/o selling an organ ;D

[For fun & posterity, as I plan to just keep all my 660-related stuff to this thread for tidy-ness, so here's the video I got of it running in its most-recent / current form, right before realizing chipped piston, thing was still eating wood!! I put a couple other vids up of it under same account, should've started this years ago it's so easy to get so much into a video!

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no expert but my thinking is that if you can get the ported cylinder serviceable that you have to figure out why it caught a ring, if that's what happened, and correct the problem or you could catch another one. If you put up a good pic of the exhaust port maybe someone can point out a what you need to correct. Also if you give a straight line measurement of the widest point of the exhaust, someone can tell you what piston will work in that cylinder. Good luck with your build!

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's some 660 skirt measurements from the pistons I have.

Duke's coated 34.28mm
Farmertec 34.34mm
Mahle (OEM) 34.28mm
Hyway 36.21mm

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Be aware, the circlips that came with a Huztl 660 I had were very thick and very stiff. I'm not sure I even got them into the piston. I may have gotten one in, but used an older thin black one after the piston pin was in.