Old509cc

OPE Member
Local time
2:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all,

I suffer from marketplace addiction and am currently in therapy. Still recovering I succumbed to the draw of a low price ms441 with some issues.
Cold compression is 150, hot 130
It ran but idled high and didn’t come down when you blip the throttle and the lever goes into run position. Okay sounds like fuel issue, I bought it.

I discovered the spacer washer/plate behind the carb was leaking air into the fuel/air side of the carb, and that the plate shouldn’t have even been there in the first place, it is maybe from a 440/660. The lower air intake is missing the spacer (with the ‘flats’ to clear the carb and throttle) and the choke lever binds up when those nuts are overtightened. Okay so extra top spacer removed and lower one ordered. In the meantime, it does still seal (I’m assuming because I can get it to idle now) and does rev up.
Exhaust edge of piston appears to be intact, not leaned out. Some OD turn machining marks on exhaust side of piston, intake is fairly smooth with small vertical scratches.

Someone else must have been in the carb and I haven’t dove in yet. I’m 1 turn out on the high needle, any more and I’m loosing rippums, but they still don’t sound high enough. Power is abysmal compared to my (fairly minty) 461, and even my buddies old 440 or 044 whichever it was. Lower power is what I read as the general opinion until these are ported. My confusion is that the compression still seems good…enough for now.
If I lean it out 1/4 turn I don’t get any indications of over revving or any pep that lean usually would result in. I put in in a 18” piece of pine after dark and the muffler began to glow a little. I can’t saw the rpm, maybe it’s time for a tach, but it doesn’t pull through anything. My 250 runs circles around it.
She occasionally coughs when starting, something my 250 and 461 never do.

Thoughts? Normal? Fuel delivery? Cylinder glazed over too much and needs refresh? Get a kit and go through the carb real well?

Goal is to get it running well and either give it to my brother or then fix the broken dog and handle mounts. Maybe put a big cylinder kit, learn to port a little and have a primary Alaskan mill saw because I feel kinda bad putting hours on my nice 461.

Attachments

• IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3815.jpeg
    IMG_3815.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3816.jpeg
    IMG_3816.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 19

EFSM

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you pull the flywheel and make sure no one's messed up the timing with key modifications?

Old509cc

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just checked and flywheel still has full width stock key.

Old509cc

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well flywheel wasn’t messed with but the cylinder had been taken off before. Maybe there was just enough extra RTV that it was blocking the lower transfers? Or it’s just that anemic stock and it’s a worn beat saw…

I should have measured the new ones but the old Ring width looked worn. Foam and sandpaper deglaze and base gasket delete, shave the cylinder to match piston stepped profile and opened the lower transfers, and popped a 1/2” hole in the muffler. No change to ports in bore aside from gasket delete.

She actually runs decent now! Not official times but before this work with my 28” full comp (which is probably too much for this saw) it seemed to run right with my old clapped out husky 350. Now it’s got the 350 and approaching the ms461.
Just a 12” red pine the weight of the saw was all it could take, before, Now I can actually apply pressure and it has some torque to pull it. Did alright in a 24” white pine too.
Timing shave and a real muffler screened port next.