Ms 170 / 180 Adjustable Carburetor Swap

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my hands on an ms 170 and here at sea level it was bogging badly off idle and max rpm were between 15,000-15,500 rpm. Running 50:1, a dull chain and aging diaphragms wouldn’t end well, it’s just a disaster waiting to happen for the future customer, especially here in Australian heat. Hopefully the new owner enjoys using.

The local dealer let me rummage upstairs and let me have a used WT215 for free, I just needed to install a new main nozzle.

It was a good oppertunity to do a short video at the same time.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my hands on an ms 170 and here at sea level it was bogging badly off idle and max rpm were between 15,000-15,500 rpm. Running 50:1, a dull chain and aging diaphragms wouldn’t end well, it’s just a disaster waiting to happen for the future customer, especially here in Australian heat. Hopefully the new owner enjoys using.

The local dealer let me rummage upstairs and let me have a used WT215 for free, I just needed to install a new main nozzle.

It was a good oppertunity to do a short video at the same time.

These saws leave the factory notoriously lean. When I rebuild the carburetors I enlarge the main jet slightly with a jet cleaning tool I made into a drill. Great if you could find a Walbro to work.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These saws leave the factory notoriously lean. When I rebuild the carburetors I enlarge the main jet slightly with a jet cleaning tool I made into a drill. Great if you could find a Walbro to work.
Yes same here, I’m right at sea level so it’s about as bad as it gets. Good call just drilling the main jet out slightly its a shame there isn’t a simple way to make the L drillings larger.

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a WT215 and a pop up for my ms180 a while back. Soon as it gives me a reason I'll swap out the carb and advance the timing. I've since learned that a pop up piston doesn't always increase performance and sometimes hurts it, so may not bother doing that. Anyone in here put a pop up in a 180/170?

Zee33

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if this makes any sense but my boys 170 was having idle and bogging problems too. I started looking at it and here as he ran the saw , the bar and chain were tightening up causing the saw to bog. Not sure what kind of adjuster you have , his was the dial type. What we ended up doing is putting duct tape over the adjuster dial to keep it from moving.

I know this seems odd but it worked for us. Then we richened the fuel after the saw was warmed up with a full tank of fuel

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
1:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw was a bit to kleen 🤔😉

But still a very good & concise video

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw was a bit to kleen 🤔😉

But still a very good & concise video
Thanks! I gave it a good clean before the video :)
I think the owner must have only used it a couple times. It’s a shame it wasn’t a 180, but it will make the next owner happy!

Edit, just noticed you’re in Sussex, I now live in Australia but I grew up in Sussex! Best place in England ;) well, not really but it’s nice!

IMG_6858.jpeg
IMG_6857.jpeg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks! I gave it a good clean before the video :)
I think the owner must have only used it a couple times. It’s a shame it wasn’t a 180, but it will make the next owner happy!

Edit, just noticed you’re in Sussex, I now live in Australia but I grew up in Sussex! Best place in England ;) well, not really but it’s nice!
Yes the 180 is definitely a better saw.
They wake up a bit with 1/4 to 1/3 off the fixed keyway and also like the exhaust opened up.
But if your selling it, it’s probably better to keep it stock.

I was born in brighton and still live here 😉👍

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if this makes any sense but my boys 170 was having idle and bogging problems too. I started looking at it and here as he ran the saw , the bar and chain were tightening up causing the saw to bog. Not sure what kind of adjuster you have , his was the dial type. What we ended up doing is putting duct tape over the adjuster dial to keep it from moving.

I know this seems odd but it worked for us. Then we richened the fuel after the saw was warmed up with a full tank of fuel
Dial adjuster on mine does the opposite. Chain starts loosening or won't tighten when the screw that holds the adjustment wheel thingie on the bar backs itself off. Retighten and it's good as new, for a little while.

Zee33

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My opinion is to just get a ms211 . You won't regret it. I bought a used one for $150 and have never had a single problem . I got it from a guy that was going to use it for a climbing saw but found it too heavy

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the 180 is definitely a better saw.
They wake up a bit with 1/4 to 1/3 off the fixed keyway and also like the exhaust opened up.
But if your selling it, it’s probably better to keep it stock.

I was born in brighton and still live here 😉👍
Ha crazy, I was born and lived in Shoreham for 24 years before moving to Australia!

I’ll modify it yes, I plan to do another couple videos on the saw. Keeping an eye out for a 180 though lol. I may even stick a 180 engine in, they have a bunch upstairs at the local dealer lol

JKNW

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the best upgrades I did to my 170 was to swap the chain adjuster to the side adjuster for an MS211 makes it a much nicer saw to use/maintain.

My 170 has been fooled around with a bit at this point, WT215, foam air filter and some restrictions removed in the air inlet, muffler mod and advanced timing have it running like a whole different saw. I've got a 180 engine sitting on the shelf to swap in at some point, probably going to add a pop-up to that before it goes in.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the best upgrades I did to my 170 was to swap the chain adjuster to the side adjuster for an MS211 makes it a much nicer saw to use/maintain.

My 170 has been fooled around with a bit at this point, WT215, foam air filter and some restrictions removed in the air inlet, muffler mod and advanced timing have it running like a whole different saw. I've got a 180 engine sitting on the shelf to swap in at some point, probably going to add a pop-up to that before it goes in.
Same mod's I've done to mine, plus steel bucking spikes and 12" bar running .050 so I can run full chisel non safety

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh,
This thread got my cad going, I thought I got over it 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I saw this saw and next thing it’s mine 🤪

I guess, when it arrives I will give it the molesting it needs
IMG_4338.png