Morbark Cyclone 8 chipper help

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long time-no see, gents....how are yinz all doing over here on OPE?

OK guys, does anyone have a cross-reference for the chipper flywheel bearings (the cutter wheel) on my Morbark Cyclone 8 chipper? I'm having trouble finding a cross-reference, the factory bearings are over 500 bucks EACH.

Any help would be appreciated.

I bought this chipper for a decent deal KNOWING it needed bearings and figuring I'd be able to find them easily....
That proved to be wrong, lol.

I did get the chipper chute turret lock fabricated and replaced today, which was a chitty design from the factory. The one I fabbed is much heavier and should take the road punishment better....
20200929_144622.jpg

20200929_144626.jpg

Any help yinz fellers can give me would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance and God Bless...

Scotty

Last edited:

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy Scott. Have you checked with Erie bearings in Altoona?

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have Penn Public pulling them off as we speak (I don't have the tooling to do it right), one of them is totally destroyed, I'm hoping the other one can be used to measure for a cross number, I will check with Erie once the bearing is off.

How u been buddy?

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well after looking exhaustively for weeks, I couldn't find anything to cross over to, and had to buy the OEM bearings......they were 500 bucks each!!

That's two good chainsaws I could've bought!!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Well after looking exhaustively for weeks, I couldn't find anything to cross over to, and had to buy the OEM bearings......they were 500 bucks each!!

That's two good chainsaws I could've bought!!
Hard to like that Scott! At least it's a morbark and not a vermeer with overly complex electronics and most every part a dealer only "deal".

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to like that Scott! At least it's a morbark and not a vermeer with overly complex electronics and most every part a dealer only "deal".
It literally made me thrown up a little......

If I had the clearance for a 1" thicker bearing, same flange pattern, same exact ID, they'd have been 275 bucks each.....that would've been better!!!

I just don't have the clearance, namely on the knife side, because the feeder wheel pivot shaft is literally 1/4" from the bearing in question....

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It literally made me thrown up a little......

If I had the clearance for a 1" thicker bearing, same flange pattern, same exact ID, they'd have been 275 bucks each.....that would've been better!!!

I just don't have the clearance, namely on the knife side, because the feeder wheel pivot shaft is literally 1/4" from the bearing in question....

If you post a picture and give us the measurements maybe one of us can find you a cheap spare for next time.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you post a picture and give us the measurements maybe one of us can find you a cheap spare for next time.
I'll mic it out when I get a chance and post up the pics/measurements.

Finally got it back together the other night. Thankfully I have a backup chipper, it's an oldie but it sure saves the day.......lol

20201016_185545.jpg

20201016_185608.jpg

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll mic it out when I get a chance and post up the pics/measurements.

Finally got it back together the other night. Thankfully I have a backup chipper, it's an oldie but it sure saves the day.......lol

View attachment 263382

View attachment 263386
You can always look at it this way, that chipper can earn the bearings back in 1 week on rental or charging an hourly fee for your labor.

I had serious thoughts about making my own chipper with features I want and skipping what I do not want (electronic anything, especially for the feed), but, after seeing how a cheap NEW homeowner unit from a place (OEM now out of business?) threw a blade right through the rotor housing and could have killed someone, I am sticking to buying a new or used one from a reputable OEM.

Though some OEMs might make their own pillow blocks/mounts and such, very few do, and almost no one that I know about makes their own bearings. It takes a lot of engineering to make a good high RPM load bearing, bearing.

They have their quirks, but, if you buy an older homeowner Kemp or MerryMac chipper/shredder, it is easy enough to make it run forever. Lack of self-feed is a sticking point, but, still nice little units. I bought a non-running one for $100 and with about another $100 (needed tires) I had a nice chipper that I used for years before I sold it.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can always look at it this way, that chipper can earn the bearings back in 1 week on rental or charging an hourly fee for your labor.

I had serious thoughts about making my own chipper with features I want and skipping what I do not want (electronic anything, especially for the feed), but, after seeing how a cheap NEW homeowner unit from a place (OEM now out of business?) threw a blade right through the rotor housing and could have killed someone, I am sticking to buying a new or used one from a reputable OEM.

Though some OEMs might make their own pillow blocks/mounts and such, very few do, and almost no one that I know about makes their own bearings. It takes a lot of engineering to make a good high RPM load bearing, bearing.

They have their quirks, but, if you buy an older homeowner Kemp or MerryMac chipper/shredder, it is easy enough to make it run forever. Lack of self-feed is a sticking point, but, still nice little units. I bought a non-running one for $100 and with about another $100 (needed tires) I had a nice chipper that I used for years before I sold it.
I have a 1973 Royer disc chipper, it's an animal but no self feeder, branches over 4-5" diameter are a workout.....

Usually I buck anything over 5-6" up for firewood, this Morbark I just got will handle up to 8" so that's more than enough for my needs. From everything I've been reading, Morbark makes a pretty good unit. Only thing electronic on this machine is the feed rate for the feeder wheel and the crank trigger/RPM sensor......it's a pretty basic machine which is exactly what I want. And the price was right on it (I bought it with the bearing issue).

Last edited: