davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
10:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, now you've got me thinking. With enough notice I could possibly get another dude or two to show up with a few big cube/play saws, if I'm really lucky I could possibly get John Rupley to bring a few of his competition saws by as well. What general time are you taking this hypothetical trip?

I have stuff going on the second weekend of the month next couple months. Nov. being the Napa GTG. Other than that I'm open. I need to visit my cousins up your way too.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have stuff going on the second weekend of the month next couple months. Nov. being the Napa GTG. Other than that I'm open. I need to visit my cousins up your way too.
Sept is booked for me and early Oct I need to be doubling down at work, around Veteran's day is typically busy with family stuff but outside of that I "should" be free. So far I'd say late October or late November sound like the best times on my end for a 2022 GTG. If either of those time frames sound like they'd work for you I can start getting in touch with my buddies and gauging their interest and availability.

Napa would be a good 2-3 hour drive for me 1-way, but I might be able to swing that. I'm pretty sure that I'd be the only local guy going to that, though, but there's a slight chance I could talk one other guy into it.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Late Oct. for me. Nov. I’d rather be here while it’s cool enough. BTW, I’m having a GTG here in Jan. If I drive to Napa I could pick you up in the ‘ru.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Late Oct. for me. Nov. I’d rather be here while it’s cool enough. BTW, I’m having a GTG here in Jan. If I drive to Napa I could pick you up in the ‘ru.
I'm on the exact opposite side of the state so you'd have to make a bit of a detour, but I'd be down with that. Riding in a Lesbaru will be a little tough on the old self-esteem, though. :D

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm on the exact opposite side of the state so you'd have to make a bit of a detour, but I'd be down with that. Riding in a Lesbaru will be a little tough on the old self-esteem, though. :D
Not with me driving it. I could bring the derge but then you have to pitch in on diesel cuz she guzzles it. (Jk) again, you’re right by my cousins I’m overdue to visit.

North by Northwest

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One saw I have never been fortunate enough to run is a Dolmar. What is the oiler modification? Do they make a higher volume pump upgrade like Stihl? I did that with my work 461
Currently have a 5105 H non cat , runs like a raped ape . Covers my 2012 346 xp in any wood . Had a 7910 HD , not a bad saw however down on power to a 7900 or 7901 in my opinion . Just about to acquire a 7900 Prez2 . Once broke in have a fine saw porter ready to do his majic :dancer2:

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Currently have a 5105 H non cat , runs like a raped ape . Covers my 2012 346 xp in any wood . Had a 7910 HD , not a bad saw however down on power to a 7900 or 7901 in my opinion . Just about to acquire a 7900 Prez2 . Once broke in have a fine saw porter ready to do his majic :dancer2:
That 7900 saw has been very appealing to me. And a 5105

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The makita is a dolmar 7910. It is hurt by emissions they had to run a restrictive muffler design. Internally though it is improved. Fix the muffler restriction issue and it will be a great runner. Dolmar when they updated to 7910 actually got a better piston design than the older dolmar 7900 had(heard this from a friend who I trust). Great saws it is why I just grabbed another one after hearing that makita was dropping the gas saws.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here are some useless facts about these top ends, lol:

To my knowledge there were 3 different iterations of the p/c combinations for these saws.
The first was the original PS7900 design, with the decomp on the starter side and windowed piston.
Then later on came the updated slab side piston, but still in the 7900 cylinder.
The last we got was the PS7910 top end, with the updated piston and the decomp on the right hand/top, and the step in the exhaust flange.
This is the current oem offering for these saws, but if you look in the right places you can still find the older style cylinder with the updated piston new for sale.

The one in the middle, the 7900 with the updated piston, was to my knowledge never sold on stock saws in the US, but only offered as an oem parts offering.
It’s labeled as oem for the teal Makita EA7901 saw, which wasn’t officially sold here, but if it was, it was in a very limited quantity.

I’ll stop rambling now. Lol