Leaking Bar Oil

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Stihl ms261 has been leaking for a few years. Initially not much and didn't think it enough to bother with. Lately it is leaking to the point where I would like to fix it. Yesterday, I took the saw apart enough to clean and inspect the oil pump, and filled it and left it overnight. I now see that it is leaking from the screw oil adjustment.

Anybody know what is involved in fixing a leak at the screw adjustment? The setting was full oiling, so I back it off to minimum oil output to see if that is a minimal fix. I figure I'd let it rest there and will open it back up when cutting, and close it off between cutting firewood. If that fixes it, then fine, but if not, it seems it would be a rather involved to tear into the saw and fix the leak.

Last edited:

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might have posted my Q to early. Upon thinking an additional hour, the moisture at the screw adjustment might have been left over from the original leak. If that is the case then I might have fixed it in just taking it apart and doing a good cleaning. Who knows, maybe? I'll let if sit for an additional day and see what's up.

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had a saw that don't leak baroil. If i get one that don't do that, i worry about.

"if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Depends on how bad is the leak, right?

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It does seem to be the nature of saws to leak bar oil, some more than others. It makes sense because there is no seal or anything to prevent some oil movement even from capillary action. I don't have any that leak a bunch but I sit them all on a rag or something that will absorb.

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It does seem to be the nature of saws to leak bar oil, some more than others. It makes sense because there is no seal or anything to prevent some oil movement even from capillary action. I don't have any that leak a bunch but I sit them all on a rag or something that will absorb.

Earlier I blew out the adjustment screw area, so I can confirm that is the source of the problem. Might have been the oil cap to, and that is holding well.

I've had leaks, bad ones before, but it was always the fill cap. Take the cap off, clean it in a solvent and was good as new.

I had a neighbor bring his ms271 over the other day. He couldn't get it started. I did all the usual things, and in playing with it saw that the starter switch went from off to full choke to fast idle, but wouldn't go to run with a trigger pull. Blew it out real good with compressed air and it is back in action. Cleanliness is the remedy 90% of the time. Just leaving them alone makes it worse with time. As always -- YMMV, don't say I said so, buyer beware, etc.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The large frame Dolmar saws, 64/73/79xx, are notorious for leaking.
Usually the remedy is simple - replace the pressure line.

Out of my five three are leaking, one is a newer build with the updated line so she doesn't leak, and one I replaced the line when I installed a new clutch.
On the leaking ones I tuck a cotton cloth under the clutch cover or drain the oil tank.

Lines have been purchased though, just need to pull the clutches and replace the lines.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The large frame Dolmar saws, 64/73/79xx, are notorious for leaking.
Usually the remedy is simple - replace the pressure line.

Out of my five three are leaking, one is a newer build with the updated line, and one I replaced the line when I installed a new clutch.
On the leaking ones I tuck a cotton cloth under the clutch cover or drain the oul tank.

Lines have been purchased though, just need to pull the clutches and replace them.
I have a Makita 520i and a 6401. Both leak bar oil. I usually just drain the oil out and/or on occasion I store the saw on the flywheel side. It's a PITA but I put up with it because the saws are otherwise excellent performers.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Makita 520i and a 6401. Both leak bar oil. I usually just drain the oil out and/or on occasion I store the saw on the flywheel side. It's a PITA but I put up with it because the saws are otherwise excellent performers.
My saws sit on wood board shelves.
I consider the leaking oil a protective coating for the boards.

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leaked overnight a good amount. Adjustment screws looked dry. I removed the oil cap and the o-ring, and cleaned them up real good. Will see tomorrow if that was the problem.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i just dump the oil out when they are going to sit for more than a couple of days

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's a G D chainsaw, of course it's going to leak OIL. There is always some extra in the bar groove and feed from after use.

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Now I don't know where the leak is coming from. Drain the oil between uses will now be the standard operating procedure. :(

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I don't know where the leak is coming from. Drain the oil between uses will now be the standard operating procedure. :(
it is likely just running out of the tank through or around tube that it goes through to oil the chain. i have fixed some of my saws so they dont leak. however it is way easier to just dump it back into the jug than the repair is.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try this. Place the saw with some oil in the tank on two short 1" x 1" boards about 8" long and over a clean sheet of paper. Let it sit for several hours. That should help isolate where the leak is coming from.

Surprisingly, many leaks are through the oil cap and a new cap or washer fixes the leak.