Identifying Tecumseh Engine

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I purchased a used generator back in the 1980's. It is a Craftsman/David Bradley 1000w. It ran good the last time I used it. It has a Tecumseh engine. It is leaking oil externally. I imagine the crank seals are bad. I can only find a metal tag attached to the cylinder for ID. All other labels have been obliterated over time It lists 143.521131 12G13 on it. I tried to cross reference, and came up with a Tecumseh HT30 equivalent. I can't find any parts listing for HT30, only H30. Are the parts interchangeable, so I can order any necessary parts listed for these engines?

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I purchased a used generator back in the 1980's. It is a Craftsman/David Bradley 1000w. It ran good the last time I used it. It has a Tecumseh engine. It is leaking oil externally. I imagine the crank seals are bad. I can only find a metal tag attached to the cylinder for ID. All other labels have been obliterated over time It lists 143.521131 12G13 on it. I tried to cross reference, and came up with a Tecumseh HT30 equivalent. I can't find any parts listing for HT30, only H30. Are the parts interchangeable, so I can order any necessary parts listed for these engines?

This might help you out.

The Craftsman number comes up as an engine on their site, The part numbers used in the Craftsman diagram are Tecumseh part numbers.

It looks like the PN's for the seals are 29183 and 30256 which seem to be available on ebay and some small engine sites

Link to the sears parts diagram.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mo.../craftsman-143521131-lawn-garden-engine-parts

Repair manual

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf

Last edited:

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. I have written down the part #s. I will wait until I can tear off the generator, and give closer examination of the sump seal, before ordering parts. I see a complete gasket kit on fleabay 30257b. The sears parts list describes a 30257 gasket set. I guess they are interchangable.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the manual I attached has a Craftsman cross reference which skipped over 143.5XXXXX series. Yours must be a very old model.

There were a lot of H30 models.

Good luck with your repairs.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW on some Tecumseh engines they had a positive type of crankcase ventilation with a small hose coming from the crankcase directly to the carb .If that hose some how gets ,pinched .plugged up what ever the pressure builds up and will blow the seals out .I had this happen twice on an 8 HP Craftsman mower .The second time I used two seals one over the other, bottom seal horizontal cylinder .That time it blowed the hose right off the carb--found the problem .:applaudit: