Husqvarna model 44 ignition

MrJim

New OPE Member
Local time
1:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Husqvarna model 44 does not make spark until I remove the ignition control module marked EY 850 and replace it with the one off my neighbor's similar saw. Replacements seem rare, so my question is whether I can substitute similar-looking modules I've seen on-line, such as BM11 or SIG 01, or no markings at all. (It might help if I knew what this part does, but this is my only gas saw, kind of a "barn find." )

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Husqvarna model 44 does not make spark until I remove the ignition control module marked EY 850 and replace it with the one off my neighbor's similar saw. Replacements seem rare, so my question is whether I can substitute similar-looking modules I've seen on-line, such as BM11 or SIG 01, or no markings at all. (It might help if I knew what this part does, but this is my only gas saw, kind of a "barn find." )
Normally you cannot use an ignition coil from a different saw. Have you tried unplugging the kill wire and then checking for a spark? You may have a ground in the wire and not a bad ignition coil.

MrJim

New OPE Member
Local time
1:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for responding! Yes I did the kill wire test test you mention before I started replacing parts. I hope I don't have the terminology wrong in my initial posting. My ignition coil is brand new, a perfect match to the original.
The part which doesn't work is what I thought was called the ignition control module. It is about an inch square, flat (perhaps 1/4 inch thick), has a single terminal on it. To that terminal attach the black wire from the coil and one of the kill wires. I may have seen it referred to as an ignition trigger module? It is a shallow metal cup which is filled on the back with epoxy.
There are no issues of fitting any of these similar modules; the question is are they functionally the same.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
6:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a feeling the 444 even though I think it maybe the professional version
Is the same saw and the 545 brushcutter is another option