Husky 385/390 muffler

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm struggling to find any time to work on saws at the moment, but necessity is pushing me to sort a new muffler for my 385.
Now, it's currently 100f+ most every day and as dry as chips. My 385 was ported by Terry and it has the classic front exit, coarse mesh exhaust. I've managed to set two different trees smouldering lately, and I just can't use it anymore.
What's the best option? eBay Chinese muffler and a second port with factory screens?
Quick, easy, any suggestions?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the hyway brand and cut the deflector off and open it up then weld it back on. It gives a lot of area and keeps it in the oem spot. The hyway mufflers seem thicker than OEM when I'm welding on them.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Winning. You obviously think a larger single outlet lets them breathe enough?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems to. I've done 3 or 4 ported ones with that single outlet. It lets you go to 1x1.5". Sometimes I weld a bigger deflector on there as well. Just have to be careful when you grind to leave support for the screen and get a longer piece of screen.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's through the front mount you can buy a new mount and just mod your existing muffler.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A piece of flashing or something like that will block that hole off until you can get a new muffler.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you were stateside I have waffled 385 muff I'd give you for parts.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 2692
Can I claim moving house, cutting a pad because the new place has no shed, working and general lack of sleep as an excuse for missing the obvious?
Sure no problem. It's almost bedtime down there now as well isn't it:borra2:

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure no problem. It's almost bedtime down there now as well isn't it:borra2:
That it is. Its midnight and it's still about 85f on the veranda. Sprinklers are off, a cold shower and I'm hitting the hay.

Thanks for the help, muffler is sorted.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ouch. I hate heat like that. That flashing will get you buy for a while til you get a new one.

HighCountryTimber

OPE Member
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Weld a couple rods to the front of the muffler and add a heat shield to the muffler.

RU NUTZ TOO

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm struggling to find any time to work on saws at the moment, but necessity is pushing me to sort a new muffler for my 385.
Now, it's currently 100f+ most every day and as dry as chips. My 385 was ported by Terry and it has the classic front exit, coarse mesh exhaust. I've managed to set two different trees smouldering lately, and I just can't use it anymore.
What's the best option? eBay Chinese muffler and a second port with factory screens?
Quick, easy, any suggestions?

i have one of those mufflers too. apparently they cost something but IMO are worth -$. the only reason guys do them is because they are easy to the builder and take no time. time is money for them, i always prefer to do my own if a builder is going to do a mod like that. i also have ones with deflectors done by builders and the screws vibrate out every few tanks. i have since gone over all of them and welded them. also made removable screens. not a fan of someone cheaping out to make a few extra bucks for themselves.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh. I'm not that concerned, I certainly wouldn't bag the builder. I paid a fair price and the saw is as strong as I need.
Terry has also gone above and beyond for me on a couple of other occasions, I'd buy the bloke a beer given the chance.
HL supply will freight to oz, so I'll get a am muffler to mod to suit my needs a bit better.