How do I break in new P&C?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, I just rebuilt my first top end. Swapped a 55 p&c on a worn 51 husky and am getting ready to go run it so I thought I would take the opportunity to see what I'm supposed to do to break it in? Thanks!

Joseph

First of all welcome to OPE!
Leave it a hair rich, and make a good cut or 2 burying the bar.
Then tune it and run it! They break in fast.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little extra oil on the first couple of tanks. Then after giving it a proper tune, run it like you stole it.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little extra oil on the first couple of tanks. Then after giving it a proper tune, run it like you stole it.

In my opinion it's best not to Jeff. The point of breaking in is to mate the ring to the cylinder. Extra oil, or even synthetic oil, can prevent it. I actually use stihl orange for break in at 50:1. Then switch to Amsoil.

Diesel Freak

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Being that I mix a couple gallons at a time, I was planning to run it a little fat instead of actually mixing it fatter for the extra oiling. That way I don't have 2 gallons of 32:1 to share with all my other saws.

Joseph

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being that I mix a couple gallons at a time, I was planning to run it a little fat instead of actually mixing it fatter for the extra oiling. That way I don't have 2 gallons of 32:1 to share with all my other saws.

Joseph

That's perfect. And run it like you stole it, it won't take long.

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't switch to dino oil just to break in a saw. Absolutely no sense for me in buying different oil types. I only use full synthetic and break in may take a little longer but I don't really care. This is a tool not the holy grail.
Further I like to do some noodling cuts if I don't have larger wood at hand. Of course proper heat up and cool down run time is for me obligatory. This is usually the time after starting the saw needed to put on my helmet with eye and ear protection and my gloves. Equally when ending the day, letting the saw idle while taking off my above equipement and then turning off the saw.

Diesel Freak

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I let y'all down. The weather was junk yesterday and I was pressed for time. Also, it turns out that the crank bearings are junk so I don't really have anything positive to report other than I finally fixed a crank seal (thanks Genius) on an 026 that I've never run... I see why so many like them. I don't foresee my 028s being my go-to saw any longer.

Joseph

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if this makes sense but here is what the dealer said on a Toro with a Husqvarna engine .Use petrolium based oil for the first twenty hours then run what you choose .Weather that would apply to a chainsaw engine mix gas is anybodies guess.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I believe that the first min on a new piston and rings will decide it's fate.

I've found that rings seat very fast,like a few cuts.

I tune the low no different than any other time but just a little chunky on the high
Maybe 500 rpm slow.
I don't like to start one and let it idle when new. I'll start it long enough to know it's ok,maybe 10 second then go to the wood pile and soon as it starts put it in the wood,make several cuts with no break in between then shut it off,do that a few times to break in the piston then it's broke in. Don't let it idle and don't tune super rich for 10 or 20 cuts and it's about done all its going to do.

Diesel Freak

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I finally got around to running it last weekend and here are my thoughts..
1. Seemed very lackluster for the first tank. Was not impressed. Realized it was running a hair too rich.
2. By the end of the second tank it stated to really wake up. Tweaked the carb a little more.
3. Whoa! Third tank was love.
4. While I've always leaned a little towards the stihl side and really like the ergonomics of my 026, I'm now to the point that i think the 026 might get sent down the road. This is a fun saw.

Lastly, I don't know how the sizes of the tanks compare but if they are close to equal, this thing seems to sip fuel. I'll be spending a little more time with it to see if I still feel this way but I'm very happy with the outcome.

Joseph