Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
3:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who has one?

We've been kicking around getting one for several years. This year we are putting a deck on our house along with a patio for a hot tub. This weekend we went to a home and garden expo that was in town and we got looking and talking to hot tub dealers.

Of course everyone told us that their brand they carry is the best.

Those of you who have one, what brand is it, how old is it and what do you or don't you like about it?
Also, do you have any idea what it costs to run it?
These dealers are claiming that they only cost $15-20 a month...

My parents have one that's about 15 years old and quite frankly it sucks. You can't sit in it with the jets on because the pump is so loud you can't carry on a conversation while it's running, and also the jets are painfully "sharp"

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep holding out for one of those that make a currant you swim against. Inertia pool?

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one at the first house I bought. It ran but they are all junk IMHO. Think of a 500 gal hot water heater with no top....

Find a dealer that's been around awhile...you WILL need parts. Find one with a decent surround on the bottom...they all fail it is just how fast. Ask about draining them and how easy it is. Also what chemicals to use? Chlorine, ozone, etc? A good top is also crucial to efficency and it's ease of removal and install will affect how much you use it.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep holding out for one of those that make a currant you swim against. Inertia pool?

They had one of those at the home show, it had a hot tub incorporated into it.

I'm pretty sure I heard the guy say $50,000

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy has a 6 seater hot tub in his basement. Sure helpes a lot with keeping hydro bills lower.

Not sure on the brand but it's been down there for a while.

When the house was built, they made sure they had a stair way built wide enough to allow the tub to fit down there from the garage. 2 large doors separate the basement from the garage.

It's a very nice tub, very comfy and warm. No break downs yet.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one at the first house I bought. It ran but they are all junk IMHO. Think of a 500 gal hot water heater with no top....

Find a dealer that's been around awhile...you WILL need parts. Find one with a decent surround on the bottom...they all fail it is just how fast. Ask about draining them and how easy it is. Also what chemicals to use? Chlorine, ozone, etc? A good top is also crucial to efficency and it's ease of removal and install will affect how much you use it.

My limited talk to dealers, I did like the fact that Jaccuzi tubs make all their stuff in house according to the dealer. He said with other manufacturers they outsource everything so parts are more difficult to get down the road from other manufacturers.
(But he could be feeding me a line of chit too)

One thing I did learn, I will not use salt in a hot tub. It sounds like that's a recipie for disaster down the road. There is some "mineral" filter and liquid that cuts chlorine by 90%

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do not look any further than Hot Springs. We bought ours 18 years or so ago, I had to replace a heating element once. Do not get hung up on HP. ratings This is a 2 hp and it will punish you. Ours is a 120V. and at the time it was guaranteed to cost less than $10 a month (outside) and we found that to be true. It has a feature called "moto massage" which is a jet that moves up and down your back that is wonderful, but can get overbearing after a little bit. Plan on an hour a week to maintain it correctly and dump the water once a month or so. I am also on the third set of filters, but I clean them quite often. All can be extended if you shower without soap before diving in, soap equals foam which is a pain to get rid of. I will give you a call tomorrow when I get out of class and ask a few questions.

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I got a Great Lakes Ottawa and have had it for quite some time, I think 11 years. Just had to replace the heater. It's 220V and I would recommend that. I know when initially it was installed, it was at about $1 a day to run it. I say 220V cause when you fill it, if you do it in the morning, you can get into it later in the afternoon/evening. A 120V it will be days before you can get into it. Mine is around 350 gallons, 5 person with a lounger. Unfortunately Great Lakes is out of business now, but I'm probably going to go with a QCA, as they are local and have been in business for a while. I looked into a Hot Springs, and everything they offered was $10k+. I use bromine and not chlorine and have had nothing but great luck with it.