Honda clone push mower?

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With all the other Honda clones you'd figure someone has cloned the push mower but I can't seem to find it. Is this not the case? My weed eater pos never cut great even with a new blade, and it runs *s-wordty even with a new carb and plug, and now the gas tank has sprung a leak. If it didn't do a *s-word job at mowing I'd slap an HF motor on it and call it a day.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
compare the HF motor to the honda push rod engine. no one has cloned the two piece block, run the timing belt through the oil sump honda overhead cam engine.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True. I think that's cause no one else is crazy enough to use a plastic cam lobe.

I think I've narrowed it down to the craftsman with the 160cc Honda motor. It looks like a re-branded Troy-built at the same price except the craftsman has the hose connection installed and the try-built just has the stamping location blank. And they both look like clones of the nice Toro but for $100+ bucks less.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
all i have seen in alabama on new push powers are briggs egg top motors honda and chinese motors. the kohler is a chinese motor with a different air cleaner. the power mor is chinese with a steel key in the flywheel so it destroys the flywheel if you hit a brick.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm talking more of a clone of the deck and dual blade thing. All the cheap ones seem to have the same crappy deck stamping as my current one that does a *s-word job.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
new craftsmans at lowes are mtd decks 90% of old ones from sears were ayp husqvarna decks lowes employees were telling customers they quit selling troy bilt riding mowowers because they were junk did not tell them new craftsman were same mtd part numbers as the troy bilt.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the blade sharp? Is it on upside down?
Yeah it happens. we pick up the blade and reach under the mower to mount it and bingo. Kinda like the backwards chain trick!
I've found different blade types/shapes may cut better with the different grasses.
Strait blade with mild lift wings, or wavy mulcher blade or the gator types all cut a bit different.
My Snapper Hi-Vac deck will bend tall grass over and skip it, due to how far inset the blade is into the deck.
Thus I had to mow at half deck with cuts in tall grass.
As an easy remedy, putting a 19 inch blade under the 21 inch deck actually a wider swath than the 21" blade does.
Reason being that the 19" doesn't ride over the bent down grass but cuts it due to the larger gap at the blade ends letting the grass rise up a bit and get cut.
Seemingly minor Blade changes can make a major difference in the quality of cut.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hm maybe. I think some of the issue is thar it runs at low rpm. I decided to give it another go at fixing it, the jb weld on the gas tank should be dry by now. I pulled the intake tube to make sure it's not cracked, and thus I had to reset the coil gap. The muffler has been in the ultra sonic to see if it was plugged. It's got a new plug and new carb gasket. If it still struggles to run good after this it's got to be compression. Once I can reliably get it to run at 3800rpm then I'll start playing with the blade.