Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, now I'm addicted to heated handles on saws, thanks to @old guy. Only problem is that I only have one, a 440. On Tuesday I slapped a 16" bar on it because I was cutting some dinky stuff, but I think a better solution is another heated saw. Another saw is always the right solution, right?

So anyway, I haven't talked to any Dolmar dealers yet, but the 5105-H is still listed on Nate's website, so hopefully I can get one from him. If the price on his site is accurate, it'll be about $100 less than Stihl 261cm-vw, which would be imported from Canada.

Anyone got any thoughts on the two. I like my Dolmar 421 quite a bit, but the handful of times I've run an m-tronic saw, I liked it. I guess my main concern would be reliability and parts support. Both are kind of a guess to me, the Dolmar being renamed and losing some dealers and the Stihl coming from Canada and being a model that isn't sold here. Also, there's the computer vs manual issue as well as strato vs standard 2-stroke. I want reliably because I want to keep this saw for a long long time. The next owner may have to pry it from my warm dead fingers.

So, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks as always, gentlemen.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
8:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both of those should be fine. There's also the 2253 and 550xpg to consider as well. Be in between the 261 and 5105 price. Both of those are a lot a like in handling as well.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does anybody know if one stands above the others in heat out put. like high and low settings , rear handle heated , heated carb ect.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 5105 is very similar in physical size to your 421. The 421 is a little wider if I remember correctly. The 5105 is heavier though. There's a picture or two floating around but I don't have it on my phone anymore.

I think you'll be impressed with it. When mine was stock (5100s) it was still more powerful than my ported 421. If it's tuned well I don't see a reason why a 5105 wouldn't run a long time with littke drama. Simple design and well built.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you want to adjust the carb or have the saw do it for you?

I would email/PM or talk to Nate. If he still has some I bet you it's even more than $100 less that the Stihl I quoted you.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I would email/PM or talk to Nate. If he still has some I bet you it's even more than $100 less that the Stihl I quoted you.

and Nate is all the dealer/support you'll ever need. and the stuff comes to your front door.... :)

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, now I'm addicted to heated handles on saws, thanks to @old guy. Only problem is that I only have one, a 440. On Tuesday I slapped a 16" bar on it because I was cutting some dinky stuff, but I think a better solution is another heated saw. Another saw is always the right solution, right?

So anyway, I haven't talked to any Dolmar dealers yet, but the 5105-H is still listed on Nate's website, so hopefully I can get one from him. If the price on his site is accurate, it'll be about $100 less than Stihl 261cm-vw, which would be imported from Canada.

Anyone got any thoughts on the two. I like my Dolmar 421 quite a bit, but the handful of times I've run an m-tronic saw, I liked it. I guess my main concern would be reliability and parts support. Both are kind of a guess to me, the Dolmar being renamed and losing some dealers and the Stihl coming from Canada and being a model that isn't sold here. Also, there's the computer vs manual issue as well as strato vs standard 2-stroke. I want reliably because I want to keep this saw for a long long time. The next owner may have to pry it from my warm dead fingers.

So, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks as always, gentlemen.

550xpg from spike was $550 to my door.

Do you know if the 261cm-vw is version II or not?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

We don't know if the 261CM-VW is V1 or V2 just yet. Stihl Canada's page still shows an image of the V1 style ( http://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/C...aws-for-forestry/22276-130/MS-261-C-M-VW.aspx ). My dealer didn't have them on the shelf and there order was supposed to arrive today but I haven't gotten the call just yet. I will post pics as soon as I get mine and let you guys know. I am hopeful for V2 as the web shows the 362CM-VW as a V1 but someone posted pics of a V2 with heat on AS last week.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I actually like the idea of the computer adjusting the carb. I've read lots of good things about the m-tronic saws, and while I'm comfortable adjusting a carb, I know that a properly functioning computer can do a better job than I could ever hope to. My only concern is that I want this computer to be able to do it's job for 10+ years. I plan on keeping this saw as long as I can.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That's a heck of a price. Like mdavlee said, right between the other two. I hear a lot of great things about the 550, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be a Husky owner yet...

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is quite a bit more than I paid for my 5105H when I bought it new from @fordf150 a while ago.
i got a grand in that saw getting rid of the grey and having ported. new 545 case, clutch cover etc. I plan on keeping it though.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a heck of a price. Like mdavlee said, right between the other two. I hear a lot of great things about the 550, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be a Husky owner yet...
run one, one time, and you'll convert.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You get that 2171 out today?
No. Im sanding drywall today. (get to take a break every once in a while). I called several different installers and left messages saying I was ready to hire, don't need it quoted, just done, and not a single one has called me back. Hard to believe no one wants to work. So Im doing it myself cause Im tired of waiting. Which in truth is fine, my only experience with a Contractor was a bad one, after the job was complete, I found mistakes and I made him fix what his workers tried to skip. You just can't get decent work done. I also tried for the entire last half of Nov and all of Dec to get Blown in Insulation Installers out to install Spyder Fill in my exterior walls. Called Archies Stone and Fireplace as they were highly rated- they missed 2 appts (that I took off work for) and on the morning of the second one, the owner called me and apologized saying "that he had to turn down the job bc he can't get his guys to work, he was embarrassed that he had the equip and know how but his guys were getting older and are sickly." Then I call i-Home Improvements and they give me the run around trying to hire out a sub contractor to do the work. I hounded them for 2 weeks initiating calls and just gave up on them. Went back to Archies and basically begged them to do the work, he said he had my number, and never called me back. Really pissed me off. Slowed my whole timetable down. Goes with the old adage, "If you want something done right, better do it yourself.
That said, I hope to slip out tomorrow morning with it.